Railroad Forums 

• MTH locomotives and DCC

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1366659  by vingong

I'm new to DCC, having found a great deal on a Model Rectifier Prodigy Explorer last week. I have a small HO oval so this should be enough right now. I have two MTH locomotives, an NYC 4-6-4 Hudson and an NYC PA. When I ran these with my DC power supply it runs just fine, the headlights light up and sound comes on, just didn't have a way to control the sound and other features. When I ran them with my Prodigy it runs, however no headlights or sound come on. My BLI and Bachmann locos all work fine. Any ideas? Thanks.
 #1366758  by Backshophoss

The MTH DCS does not always play well with NMRA compliant DCC systems,a programming track booster will help
but may NOT get all the CV's in the MTH Decoder to co-operate in any changes of programming.
The 1st gen DCS decoders need their DCS "command station" to work properly,the newer 2nd gen
DCS decoders are a bit more NMRA compliant,but still a pain to program.
Your DCC system is fine,the DCS decoders are "unhappy" on DCC. :wink:
READ the MTH supplied manual about their DCS carefully.
 #1366846  by vingong

Thanks. I powered off/on the Prodigy and pressed 3, and it started up with sound and features. Works fine now!