Railroad Forums 

• Wanted: Walthers Phase III Plated Superliners

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1252783  by B44NYC

Hi everyone, I've been searching hi & low for 2 Amtrak Sleepers & 2 Coaches (not coach baggage) in Phase III with the plated finish.

Does anyone know of any LHS that might have these sitting in a stock room collecting dust? Any info appreciated...

Or, If anyone on the forum is willing to swap Phase III's for my own plated Phase IVb's, please send me a message if your interested in trading.

Thanks
SJ
 #1253737  by Amtrak207

Hey,

You may be in luck if you want to wait.

When I spoke to the Walthers rep in Atlanta last year, he said that there would be another run of Superliners for 2014 (SI and SII) but these would be given new product numbers under the "PROTO" line, and upgraded with window gaskets and correctly tinted windows.

*fingers crossed.

Tom
 #1254046  by Amtrak207

No problem my friend.

In regards to the Horizon cars, it has been already discussed at Walthers, they are mostly waiting to see how the Amfleets sell.

From my other posts in the Amfleet thread

"Speaking of Superliners.... a REVISED retooled Superliner I and II will be coming out, with a more realistic plated finish, correctly tinted windows, and window gaskets. I asked them about a 37000-series Diner-Lounge car, for people that model the City of New Orleans and Texas Eagle. The rep just smiled and said it was an oversight that the 37000's weren't produced as it would basically only be a lettering and interior change as it uses a SI Diner carbody. So we shall see..."

Walthers seems to be "mum" on Viewliners. I imagine so but they may be waiting until the V-II's come out.

Walthers rep last year said the Superliner I and II will be run again under the Proto line. They will feature window gasket detail and prototypically correct tinted windows (brought up to Amfleet standards.) Thry said the Diner-Lounge/Cross country cafe 37000-series cars were an oversight as to why they didn't produce them. So maybe we will see those too.

So consider those retooled-retooled Superliners!

Walthers is also aware that there are more Amtrak modelers now than before, so that bodes well for us.

As I have stated before, Waltherrs can always change their minds at a moment's notice. So vote with buying the Amfleets. The Amfleet I's are gorgeous, the A-II's are a work of art with the extra grab irons and such. For those who think (and I am one of them) that they're too shiny, 1-2 coats of Alclad ALC 600 Aqua Gloss Clear WILL SOLVE THIS PROBLEM, and tone it down. Everyone's opinions is different, so you stop when you feel the sheen is correct.

Back to the point here, keep the requests for Superliners (and tell them you want them brought up to Amfleet standards), as well as Horizons (this has a good shot of passing!)

Tom
 #1255323  by B44NYC

Tom, I just got 6 Amfleet I in Phase IVb with the light kits and they are gorgeous!! Unfortunately, I had to pop one car open because the lights wouldn't stay on but it was relatively easy to fix.

I'm saving up to spring for the Amfleets in Phase I & III next. Only thing I have to get now is some powered graphite. because they do run tight!!!
 #1255390  by Amtrak207

The cars WILL loosen up with some break in and graphite. Mine roll much better now. They are beautiful aren't they??

I said it in the other Amfleet thread, if you disassemble the cars, GO SLOW and do not pry from the bottom, you WILL rip some details off the underbody. A little time and patience goes a long way here. :)

Tom
 #1289182  by Amtrak207

SJ,

I hope you saw the other thread, but as I stated earlier, Walthers is coming out with more plated Superliners (the Phase III you wanted) along with all the details and addons I mentioned in Feb.

Hope you like!!

Tom
 #1293455  by B44NYC

Hi Tom, Yes, I saw the announcement and already picked up the Phase III coaches. Now if Walthers can only update & release Horizon, 1700 Baggage, Viewliner cars, and the right California Cars within the next couple of years......
 #1348815  by electricron

Here's what's available this fall (2015).
Superliner Is in Phase III and Phase IVb
Superliner IIs in Phase IV and Phase IVb
They're available with interior lighting or not, there's about a $10 difference in MSRP.
Standard coaches, sleepers, diners, and lounges available in both I and II models.
Baggage-coach only available in a I model, transition sleeper only available in a II model, being prototypical.
There isn't a Cross Country car, but I suppose one could use a Superliner I diner and get the outside very close, but the inside of that car will not be correct.

If you're not modeling the latest IVb livery, you'll be missing one car type each with III and IV liveries. ;)