Railroad Forums 

• Who Made These? (Life-Like kits)

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1238546  by Death Star

I remember years ago at Target in the 90's seeing some Hot Wheels maybe? buildings with autos? Buildings? I don't remember what they were but the packaging had I think Life-Like? Amtrak cars in the pictures. I think one was a Mc Donalds building. My question is, who made these, does anyone remember them, and were they HO scale sized? These were not part of the 1980's Hot Wheels train sets.
 #1239263  by scharnhorst

I Remember Model Power making models of McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, and a State Prison / Count Jail?? back in the early 90's but that's about it.
 #1239315  by Montrealrail1

I remember getting few of these item when much younger,at the end of the 80's and beginning of 90's

It was made by Life-Like,Mc Donald,KFC,did not had in my collection,the Pizza-Hut,but I remember I got the state prison and a police station,It was getting a corner store too.They did many kings of buildings.

Here's the Mc Donald set

But I do not have anymore teese sets,I gave them to another who have some kids playing with trains,on a 4 by 8 layout
 #1239484  by CNJ999

Just as a point of information, the McDonald's Restaurant kit from Life-Likewas short-lived. It turns out that Life-Like failed to get the OK from McDonalds to commercially produce the model and so was subsequently forced to withdraw it from the marketplace. Today these relatively rare kits go for a pretty penny on sites like eBay...if and when they happen to come up for auction. They often sell in the range of $100-$125.

As I recall, the more-or-less same kit was re-issue after a time with its McDonalds idetifying features (the arches and McD sign) removed, but I don't remember what Life-Like labeled it at that point.

CNJ999