Railroad Forums 

• Life Like Engine Parts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1213667  by ricebrianrice

I need a replacement truck for my sons Life like GP-38. He dropped it. I did some quick searching on the internet and did not find many parts for these engine.

Can you get replacement trucks? Is it worth it?
Recommendations where to purchase?

Thanks
 #1213694  by cnj1524

life like was bought out by walthers,is it worth it,depends on how much he likes it,if its just a life like(not a proto series)you can try ebay and look under
HO scale parts lot,they can be found,all in all they are not good runners,I would recommend an athearn RTR,prices have gone up in the past 20 years
but you do get what you pay for sometimes,hope this helps

Brian M.
 #1213892  by Backshophoss

If it is pre-proto(aka train set quality)Life-Like,It was 1 powered truck and 1 "Dummy" truck for power pickup,
The GP-38's of the pre-proto era were set up with the front truck as powered with rubber tires on the wheels,
and the motor mounted on the frame with a U-joint connection to the truck,most all other locos were
"pancake" motor powered. :(
Best bet is a trip to a Model RR swap n sell meet and find a "parts donor" model to replace broken parts.
If this is a proto 2000 or proto 1000 model,inquire at Walters if parts are avaible and price.
 #1218230  by scharnhorst

If it's N Scale it would be cheaper to pluck new or used locomotive off of Ebay and if need be swap the shells out. The same could also be done with H.O. Scale if all else fails you might be able to get an undecorated unit at a decent price and change out the shells as well if your not able to find the parts you need..
 #1229898  by ApproachMedium

Just buy another off ebay. You can probably get a whole engine off ebay or at a train show for less than 20 bucks that runs.
 #1230228  by umtrr-author

Was just going to suggest another idea when I checked in the my archives... and what should I find but a Life-Like GP38 in Chessie System. It doesn't run-- just tried it. You're welcome to it.

PM me with your address and I'll send it to you. No extra charge for the dust...