Railroad Forums 

• Question on Steam Detail Bits...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1137194  by Komachi

Hey, guys...

As I've been a diesel modeler for the majority of my model railroading career and haven't done much along the lines of steam engines, I was wondering if I could get some opinions as to which would be the appropriate detail parts to add to my "Americanized" Flying Scotsman project. I've been looking at Cal Scale and Precision Scale products and found a few things that come close to what I'm looking for, but I thought I''d pick the brains of those of you who are more versed in steam accessories than I, to see what you thought.

When the Scotsman came to the States for her goodwill tour, she needed to be fitted with a few accessories that would make her FRA compliant. She needed a bell (to ring at crossings), a chime whistle (louder than the standard British whistle), headlamp (they just placed lanterns on the buffer beam in England) and a cowcatcher. The cowcatcher I am going to fabricate as it is unique to the 4472, but the bell, whistle and headlight are all relatively standard steam engine equipment (which, I believe was given to Alan Pegler, who owned the Scotsman at the time, by W Graham Claytor who was president of the Southern Railroad in '69 and one of the US supporters of the goodwill tour).

The link below goes to a set of photos of the Scotsman on her tour of the States...

Page 2 of a discussion of Hornby's train set depicting the Scotsman's '69 USA tour has pics of the train in Boston and the first two pictures clearly show the bell, whistle and headlamp mounted on the engine...
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ack/page-2

So, there you are.

Curious to see what your parts recomendations will be. And, yes, I'd like that headlamp to be operable, if at all possible (illuminated number boards would be a nice touch, but not a necessity!)

Oh, and, yes, I'm aware OO scale is 1:76 and HO is 1:87th and that there will be a minor size discrepancy, but I can live with it.
 #1137467  by NYCentral

The details you are looking for are supplied by Cal Scale and cast in brass. Simply match the pictures in the online catalog with what you want.

The headlight looks to be a visored, flat sided Pyle. To make it operational you would need to drill it out and either run a 20 thou fiber optic up from the bottom of the casting and through the smoke box. Run that to the light bar of the original lighting scheme, which may be engineering headache. Or, install a SMD and run the wires through the smokebox, install the appropriate resistor and run it to power. Then for either method install a MV lense with 1/16 of an inch of the silvering removed from the backside of the lense.

The bell appears to be an air-ringer, there a few choices available and the whistle is a whistle, again a few choices available.

Enjoy the renovation and welcome to steam.

Bob
 #1137663  by Backshophoss

Does your club run DC or DCC? Read the review in Model Rail a while back,don't remember if the model had the 8 pin or 21 pin
decoder socket,Kadee has couplers that fit in the NEM coupler pockets.