Railroad Forums 

• Resin Dust

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1125071  by acelaphillies

Happy Holidays to everyone. I hope everyone had a nice Christmas yesterday :).

I received my first resin kits and am preparing to build them. Like I said, this is the first time I have ever worked with resin so I'm really looking forward to building these kits and hopefully more in the future. Anyway, I was reading some articles on building resin kits and it said that resin dust can be very harmful if inhaled.

Obviously, I want to make sure that I am being safe, so what are the correct safety precautions that you guys would recommend taking while working with resin, especially sanding/filing? Would using wet sandpaper and working in my spray booth while wearing a breathing mask be okay, or should I use a respirator? Like I said, safety is the first priority. It sounds like this dust is bad news if inhaled, so I'll do whatever I can to make sure I am protecting myself. Thanks for the help!
 #1125140  by Backshophoss

The 1st thought was to work outside(currently too cold!),if you are only cleaning up flash and/or mold parting lines
Dust mask if working in your paint booth should be OK. Use disposalable drop cloths to make cleanup "easy"
If you are carving out a lot of material,the better idea is wait for spring has sprung and do the "messy" stuff outside.
WASH HANDS when done working with resin material,or wear disposalable gloves to toss when done.
Use a shopvac or a vac with bag type filter to cleanup any remaining dust.
Clean any tools/files used, resin will ruin X-acto blades real quick.
 #1128096  by Backshophoss

Use a good quailty razor saw,stopping from time to time to check on progress and clean the sawteeth out,
TRY to stay with hand tools as much as possible.

AS A LAST RESORT:
On the "Heavy Weapon"(Dremel tool) side,use a reinforced cutting disc for straight cuts OUTSIDE if possible,
use the slowest speed possible so as not to create fumes from heated(melted) material
 #1129673  by acelaphillies

Backshophoss wrote:Use a good quailty razor saw,stopping from time to time to check on progress and clean the sawteeth out,
TRY to stay with hand tools as much as possible.

AS A LAST RESORT:
On the "Heavy Weapon"(Dremel tool) side,use a reinforced cutting disc for straight cuts OUTSIDE if possible,
use the slowest speed possible so as not to create fumes from heated(melted) material
Thanks for the help! Will resin wreck my files too or not if I clean them out?
 #1129714  by Backshophoss

IF you have only 1 set of files,yes it could,use a cloth rag ,or a file card(A card with an array of "pins" in it)
to clean the files.
Worse case: Wire brush in motor tool,OUTSIDE with safety glasses ON to remove stuck on material.
use a worn wire brush if you can,don't wreck a new brush!!