Railroad Forums 

• Modeling NJT

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1208230  by cnj1524

I began working on my large amount of comet cars again,finishing up the work before getting them ready for paint,after I get some of them done
its onto the PL42AC,GP40P,GP40FH-2 & the F40PH-2cat,many winter projects,I modified both IMW cars & walthers cars truck sets with 33" free rolling
wheel sets,a very easy process
Attachments:
Comet V
(55.57 KiB) Downloaded 2686 times
Comet V
(43.08 KiB) Downloaded 2686 times
Comet V,Comet IIM(X control cab)
(49.36 KiB) Downloaded 2686 times
 #1213224  by green_elite_cab

I've sort of shifted away from the modern NJ Transit, and have been doing some of the NJ DOT prototypes in order to better match my electric equipment.

My NJ DOT roster has actually swelled pretty quickly, and I'm trying to avoid stand-ins as much as possible. Much of it is still in pieces and needs to be built, but I'm looking forward to MAYBE having some of my Jersey Arrow sets powered for the upcoming Mass Transit Show at Rutgers, this October. Fingers crossed!

Anyways, part of the problem i'm running into is the lack of NJ DOT decals. Prime Mover Decals fortunately offers the round NJ DOT logo, but it only faces one way (Arrow IIIs had a reversed NJ DOT logo), and no decal sets exist to cover any of the NJ DOT diesels, except for the U34CH (both Prime Mover and Microscale have applicable decals).

This means for the GP7s and E8s, i'm on my own, particularly for the Road Numbers. Nobody sells red Conrail font road numbers, which is a shame since they are pretty close.

Here are some photos-

From Left to Right-

Jersey Arrow II, GG1 #4883 (I need a small red PRR keystone for the nose), A soon to be former GN AC&F 44 Seat coach for my Jersey Builder (one of a few), and a Jersey Arrow III single.

Link

Some more of my Arrows. I have about 17 Arrow IIIs, and 8 Arrow IIs in total, and I wish I could get more (in particular, a few married pairs would be nice, and one other single), but most of them still need to be built and powered. Pantographs and lighting are still also a concern, but I'll worry about it when I get to it.

Also in the picture are the Car Sides for a ex-NYC Tavern Lounge, which will be numbered NJ DOT/PC #4437. These were neat cars, and I've had the opportunity to ride briefly in #37 (now on the Cape May Seashore Lines), as well as others in its class.

Link

Another shot of the Arrow IIs.

Link

One of my E8s under conversion to #4253. It helps that the URHS preserved this unit, in NJDOT paint no less! As rough as those window plugs look, it is infact 100% filled in and smooth, with modelers puddy and super glue. I was a little worried about making the E8 Smooth-sided (I feared roughing up the sides!), but I seem to have polished it fairly well, so I look forward to painting it one of these days. I have a Second E8 that is going to get a similar treatment, but I'm not sure if I should do another NJ DOT E8, or Conrail 4014. Both would have been used on the same trains, but the body modifications were different.

Link

I'm fairly excited, since I have managed to acquire many examples of NJ DOT commuter cars, and even convinced one company to start making some (Union Station Products now makes the cars sides for the Ex-ATSF coaches found on the CNJ and PC). Union Station products actually seems to have a car side for the bulk of the ex-CNJ NJ DOT cars, as well as some of the Penn Central ones.

I also have an 8 car train of Arrow IIs, which i spent most of of the other day clearing the window flash and drilling the holes for the grab irons. I'm still a little hesitant about the NWSL Stanton drives, but it looks like those will be the only options for the time being.

I also have a large number of Arrow IIIs to build, as well as a GP40P to complete, so I have a lot of work to do. If i'm lucky, I might also have some of the catenary up on my module at the Mass Transit meet.
 #1213261  by cnj1524

With the modeling Im going backwards aswell,Im gonna finish the Comet V's(if I can still get the parts I need from IMW)I had bought another set from him
but some parts were missing and Im not crazy about the new resin trucks,wish he kept doing the old metal ones,when these and the 2 comet 2Ms along with
the PL42AC are done they will be sold on ebay,the only real modern stuff I will have is the GP40PH-2s n some comet III cars,been cleaning house selling
off stuff that (1) I don't need (2) never gonna build,I have a lot of comet II cars to build(with custom windows from Island model works)Ive been testing
types of trucks for the walthers comet cars(home mods)and finally got it right,the fuel tank for the PL42AC has to be cut down(no way around it) to fit
the stewart(bowser) Drive,Have a few GP40P's to finish building along with painting the brass one,I have an overland U34CH that Im debating on selling
off,will be posting some pics off progress over the weekend
 #1224201  by cnj1524

Im looking to buy or trade,looking for Comet III cars from IHP(imperial hobby productions)need for a project,I have for trade IMW 2 NJT PL42AC shells,1 w/frame(first run)2 w/drive train,2 sets of decals,but am only looking for IHP Comet III cars or shells & there arrow 1 kit ,thanks ahead I also have many walthers comet 2 cars
with custom flush window sets from IMW,trade only,not selling without trade

thanks BN
 #1228971  by cnj1524

selling all ho scale NJ Transit stuff,appx $15,000 collection,everything from brass to custom made to walthers,many unfinished,over 50 comet cars
with custom made flush windows(by jeff from IMW)IHP comet III cars(by IHP)brass f40s,GP40Ps,GP40PH-2s(5 of 12 made by overland)walthers e60s
afew unfinished f7s,and a VERY LARGE lot of custom decals printed by microscale for IMW's,its an endless lot to part out,contact me,you cannot get any off this anywhere anymore before it all goes on ebay,contact me with what ur looking for before end of next week,there is a lot of stuff,will be sold
as-is I don't have the time just to have them sit on shelf,I model steam so I would rather see someone use this stuff instead of it sitting in boxes
I have 1 custom athearn extended GP40P frame left with atlas trucks n fuel tank(Machined by Brian Banna)and all the parts to finish,like I said
too much to list,serious buyers ONLY!!!