Railroad Forums 

• Detailing NY&A 271

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1082068  by deandremouse

Based on some articles from trainsarefun.com

I detailed 271, to sort of match the prototype...

gotta paint those parts
 #1082221  by jlr3266

Let me know what mix you use to match the paint! BTW, You can get a Tool Box to shave down to size to add to the front walk. Custom bending the modified rail is easy enough.
 #1082403  by Backshophoss

This is not to "nit-pick",but I feel something is missing on the short hood, the ASC/Cab Signal box under the engineer's cab window.
Can't find my copy of J.Scala's book,"Diesels of the Sunrise Trail" to prove/disprove that feeling at this time.
 #1082404  by deandremouse

jlr3266 wrote:Let me know what mix you use to match the paint! BTW, You can get a Tool Box to shave down to size to add to the front walk. Custom bending the modified rail is easy enough.
Backshophoss wrote:This is not to "nit-pick",but I feel something is missing on the short hood, the ASC/Cab Signal box under the engineer's cab window.
Can't find my copy of J.Scala's book,"Diesels of the Sunrise Trail" to prove/disprove that feeling at this time.
Yep, that I have to scratchbuild.

Seen in the modeling article

Besides that I have to add the ditch lights which noone seems to have ( Details West #228 EMD pilot top ditch lights)

And wait for the other pair I ordered for the rear.

#1082409  by Backshophoss

Might find some of the parts at Walters,not sure if cannon is still making the parts for the ASC box.
Forgot how big they are!
 #1082543  by deandremouse

Backshophoss wrote:Might find some of the parts at Walters,not sure if cannon is still making the parts for the ASC box.
Forgot how big they are!
Cannon still makes filter boxes, maybe I can modify one I have lying around here...

OH painted the anticlimber
 #1170852  by deandremouse

rscott417 wrote:What brand/color paint did you use for the body color?
Used a Testors Enamel I believe the color was flat beret green.

To this day, i'm still waiting on the Detail West ditch lights I backordered a while ago...
 #1177474  by rscott417

If you ordered them through Walthers, you wont see them till December. Also, what horn did you use?
 #1181606  by deandremouse

rscott417 wrote:If you ordered them through Walthers, you wont see them till December. Also, what horn did you use?
Hah. Hmm no I ordered from somewhere else... still no response

I used a Details West HO Scale Leslie RSL-3L-R Three Chime Air Hor