Railroad Forums 

• Voltage for HO lamp posts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1081908  by granton junction

I recently purchased some Bachmann HO lighted lamp posts. There is no indication anywhere about the proper voltage. I have a cheapo Bachmann HO/N transformer. The output of the accessory terminal is 20 V AC. I am thinking though that this voltage may be too high. Can anybody speculate what should be the proper voltage? Also, what could be a good source to power these at a lower voltage, maybe 12 V? Thanks.
 #1082264  by ex Budd man

You should run them at 8-10 volts, they will last longer and look more realistic. String two in series to drop the 20 volts down to 10.
 #1086248  by 262

I am using 12v and some 6v bulbs.I use a spare trainset transformer hooked up to the variable track terminals.I have some buildings,lamp posts and signals light up.I turnned the thrrotle up till the lights had the look of the glow you see when landing at the airport at night (room dark) and can see the city below.I first tried the set voltage side of the transformer.But this burnned out bulbs and the bulbs got hot enough to melt any plastic that was near.I have been running this set up for about 5 year about once a week and have not had to change any bulbs.