Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1568316  by Gilbert B Norman

While Tower Operator Andy, who appears to have "done this stuff for a living" is likely aware, the "New Haven RR" Corridor Mileposts are taken from Grand Central, and not from Penn. There is a three mile difference between GCT and Penn, with Penn being the greater distance. Therefor that Cat noted in the video is 155 miles East of Penn.

Mileages in Amtrak PTT's are taken from Penn.
 #1568363  by gokeefe

west point wrote:In some of the passes I noted that the CAT had some movement especially after train passed . Wonder if the CAT might need some tweaking ?
Looked normal to me. You can see that kind of movement in constant tension catenary in many other videos of high speed operations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1568402  by Fan Railer

Matt Johnson wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:56 pm

At the 1:07 mark, that pass looks to be about as fast as I've seen! Using a stopwatch, I get between 2.6 and 2.8 seconds, which given the train length of 698 ft 5 in, puts the speed at between 170 and 183 mph! My best guess based on a few stopwatch measurements is a bit over 170.
Counting frames says otherwise. The train takes 2.9 seconds to pass through the left side of the frame, giving a speed of 165 MPH. They are not going to be testing faster than 165 due to the Cant Deficiency limitations placed on them by the FRA.
 #1568405  by west point

My point about the CAT is that some passes there is no CAT movement others have some mainly up and down.. I do not understand the math of catenary. The power companies have to deal with it ongoing from local lines to major high voltage lines. It is apparent that PG&E did not understand it enough and had many fires caused by the lines contacting burnable fuel in California.

Back to Amtrak. It is well known that the PRR style CAT has problem if an EMU train has too many PANs that bounce can cause problems.. All the Acela-2 passes have just one pan up. I am still uncertain if one pan can supply both locos or if the one loco is able to push or pull the whole train ?.