Railroad Forums 

• Press report of GM selling EMD

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#87253  by Phil Hom

1) The press is reporting the sale of General Motors "Train" division. I guess the are dumbing down to the average reader that anything on rails, such as a standing car on a siding by a warehouse or a locomotive running light is a train (lMommy, look at that train car on the train track!)

2) The press in Canada is playing it up as great news for Canada's economy. The US is mute on this subject, except in Detriot where is is good news that GM is dumping a money losing and non-automotive division.

#87575  by shortlinerailroader

GM sucks. I know my sig says "SD40-2--the Best", but the SD40-2 came at a time when GM actually built some good cars like the early 70s Chevelle, Camaro, Cutlass, Coupe DeVille, 442 and others. This new GTO is a joke--give me a new Mustang GT (for 10 grand less!). General Electric is the "Ford" of locomotives (read: Best Selling). Also GE still actually has an assembly plant in the USA. GE includes its locomotive division in its advertising, while GM always seemed to sweep EMD under the rug.

I hope that EMD fares better under its new ownership...Maybe I'll change it to "SD70ACe--the Best". No, wait--those don't have "Made in the USA" on them.

#90353  by Gilbert B Norman

I'm amazed how little media coverage there has been.

The Wall Street Journal had NO coverage whatever; ironically on the day the story became official, they had a "Heard on the Street' article regarding GM - not a peep.

The New York Times carried a two inch article from Reuters.

Is it only "WE" of this Forum that thinhk the news has any interest?. I;ve learned more from reading the EMD Forum here than I ever have from the $750 a year (+ Xmas) I part with to have my two Daily "rags" go "thump on my doorstep" at about 5AM..

#90413  by shortlinerailroader

I know what you mean, Mr. Norman. After about an hour of trying to find out more about the derailment in SC on Fox, CNN, etc, I found out what I needed to know from the NS forum.