Railroad Forums 

• Electrified railroad in opening credits of "That Girl"

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#987788  by MEC407

Can anyone identify the two-track electrified passenger railroad seen in the opening credits of That Girl? The series began in 1966, so I know it's pre-Amtrak and pre-Conrail, but other than that I'm not familiar enough with the electrified passenger lines of that era to know what/where this line is. Here is a video clip: http://youtu.be/Zoh1LGADKI8
 #987996  by Adirondacker

Marty Feldner wrote:I'm not an SPF, but it looks like the PRR in the Jersey Meadows; that might be the Turnpike on the right, and the Pulaski Skyway in the distance. If so, that'd make it a southbound, below where the new Secaucus Transfer is located.

Or not...
Has to be someplace in the UK. The traffic on what appears to be the Turnpike, passing through Fraternity Rock, is on the "wrong" side. :-)
Could be that someone filmed it from the rear window of an eastbound and they ran the film backwards...
 #988004  by MEC407

Adirondacker wrote:Could be that someone filmed it from the rear window of an eastbound and they ran the film backwards...
That was my guess when I spotted the highway traffic. :-)
 #988506  by MEC407

Thanks for the input, guys!
 #1000689  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I remember the railroad in the opening credit of "That Girl" and as mentioned it is the former PRR High line in the vicinity
of today's Secaucus Junction station and the NJ Turnpike is alongside...After looking at the clip I believe either it was shot from the rear of
a train and run backwards or it was from a train using the opposite track-remember that line E of Portal Bridge (the last crossover before
the North/Hudson River Tunnel portals) had CTC back then...And I agree-Marlo Thomas was cute!
It is hard to believe that this is more then 40 years ago...MACTRAXX
 #1001057  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: On further thought I recall that the parents of "Ann Marie" - Marlo Thomas's character - were from Brewster,NY (Putnam County)...

To be accurate the Harlem Line would have had to be showed and perhaps a GCT introduction in the opening credits...the more photogenic
Hudson line southbound would have been interesting as well instead of using a PRR ROW clip approaching NYP...

MF: I do agree with you about MT being attractive-she just passed her 68th Birthday in November 2011 (Born 11/43) and she has aged quite well...

Merry Christmas All !!!
MACTRAXX
 #1036850  by clone1124

Hello, yes, they cheated and filmed from the back of a New York bound train on the northeast corridor and played it backwards. The vehicles can be seen going backwards on the eastern spur of the New Jersey Turnpike and a truck on the left side of the tracks. The train had just left Kearny, crossing over the Hackensack River into Secaucus. On the top right side is Laurel Hill and on the top left is the Pulaski Skyway. Between the tracks and the Skyway is the distilling tower of the old Standard Chlorine Chemical Company at 1035 Belleville Turnpike, ironically were I worked a few years later.
 #1078707  by Septaman113

Speaking of "That Girl" does anyone remember the 2 part episodes where she lands a role in a show and goes to Philadelphia? I recall the first part near the end where she is getting on a PRR train to Philly saying goodbye to Donald and then in the second part after the show get a bad review she is seen at 30th St Station at the upper level give the red cap a tip and sits down on the bench feeling bad. That is platform C track 4 where you get the SEPTA Paoli Thorndale train now.