Railroad Forums 

• Question about how to post vintage timetables

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#863385  by frank754

I'm going to scan some vintage timetables and post them to my site: http://viewoftheblue.com/photography/
I'm wondering what is the best way to do this, I have a good scanner and am already familiar with all the procedures, but with a timetable that has, say, 15 pages, would most users prefer for me to scan it as a multi-page pdf file, so they can zoom in or out and go from page to page, or as just good resolution jpg's which they may have to scroll a bit and be able to view each page within their browser window?
I do see the benefit of pdf, but I always sort of hate to have to download one to view it in my own case, and go for the jpg when available. If any of you guys have a good opinion on the matter, let me know.
 #863529  by Eliphaz

first of all thanks for contributing.
I know what you mean about huge pdf files, but it does keep the hard drive tidy.
There are no technical objections to pdf format, if scan is "high quality", plus zoom and built-in text select is pretty nice.
 #864551  by frank754

Well, I posted 6 so far, as I had folks from NEPA that were interested (on another forum).
I did get them all as pdf.
These are all from the 50's, except for one Erie-Lackawanna timetable from 1961.
Especially of interest are the Lackawanna and Lehigh Valley timetables (also the Erie).
You'll need a faster connection (not dialup) to view these in good time.
I have a bunch from all over the US, plus I plan to also scan some from old Official Guides, as I have some of them from 1967, 1959, 1949, 1940 and 1926.
Go to:
http://viewoftheblue.com/photography/
The timetable link should be just below the google ads.
Once I have time to post a bunch more, I will make another post in the more general "Fallen Flags" area above.
 #864784  by CarterB

Frank754.. fantastic web site!!! The pdf format works great for reading the 'fine print' I look forward to more vintage fallen flag timetable and photos