• looking for a moive from late 70s early 80s

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by lb101

I am curently looking for a name of a movie from the late 70s/ early 80s. The movie is about two amtrak or seems to be two amtrak trains on a collision path. I only saw some parts but one scene is where the two trains are saved by a track crew moving rails to prevent the colision. If any one knows the name of this movie can please let me know thank you.
  by eddiebehr

Would it have been "Disaster on the Coastliner?" One train goes out of control and resists every effort to stop it.
  by 2nd trick op

The film is, Indeed, "Disaster on the Coastliner", a made-for-TV film cooked up by ABC in 1979. I ran across it on ABC late-night programming a few years later and, thankfully, haven't seen it since.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079056/

You will see the same Amtrak train cross the same truss bidge half a dozen times. You will see a mock-up of a CTC panel written on plexiglass with a crayon.

If any film ever demonstrated the entertainment media's complete ignorance of the rail industry, this is it.