Railroad Forums 

• MOVIE: Unstoppable

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#871352  by Jtgshu

SOME ANSWERS TO THE SPOILER ALERT QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not sure what you are asking about with the air....it's (or was really as most RR's are banning it) fairly common to switch without air, so the move in the beginning with the engineer hopping off to get a misaligned trailing point switch (yes, it was lined correctly in the shot, that was an error in the movie, but correct in the dialog) while the train was still moving could and did happen wiht the CSX runaway. The engineer applied fully independent brake, and then thought he set full dynamics. However, the dynamics did not engage, adn instead went to full power.

So opening the angle cock on the engines (the only things with air) would have put the engines in emergency and cut the power, but the rest of hte train would have kept pushing it. There have seen several runaways on Cajon Pass where an emergency brake application on the whole train did not stop the train. The engineer in this case felt that the brakes were set and the train woudl stop eventually - very slowly, but eventually it would, so he thought, he didn't know dynamics did not engage.

Climbing inbetween the cars and engine to try to lace up the air hoses while the train is moving at 10mph? Thats impossible and would result in near certain death to the employee. Same wiht opening up the angle cock to cause the locos to go into emergency.

Yes, when the 2 SD40s were coupled to the head end, they probably could have had an employee climb aboard the 777 (catch the number reference? CSX 8888 - AWVR 777), but yea, then there wouldn't be a movie :) And the wreck there, yea, the rest of the trian should have taken the switch - haha

The grain well it was a damaged hatch from the hard hitch. Could happen? I guess, would it? probably not. I would think the car would derail before the hatch would be damaged and grain flying out......

Yes, it would have been necessary to put the police at the Xings, as in the one scene, the train is flying through and the gates are just activating and lowering as the locos are already through it. That is totally realistic, well the gates lowering after a train has passed, as the gates are set to activate at the track speed of the track and if a train is speeding down a train (controlled or not!) they can "beat the gates" down.

Even tho the single "5000HP" SD40-2 had less power than the 2 GEs leading under power, it would still allow the train to slow down. It would in simple terms cancel out about 3/4 of one of the locos under power and allow the train to slow down. Thats how CSX got the train to slow down, a crew caught up to it, coupled to it and applied the dynamics and air brakes of their loco and it slowed the train enough for someone to climb on the head end and get aboard to shut down the power. Except it was a trainmaster I believe at a Grade Xing at a speed of about 10mph, not out of a really nice Ford pick up!

Like i said above, its not perfect, but it was a great movie adn much more realistic and accurate than I would have ever imagined it to be
 #871427  by CPSK

I didn't even second guess the tanks during the movie. They looked like a natural setting. Here in NJ, it's common to see tanks next to the tracks.

FW
 #871478  by lexon

Pure fantasy. I like train watching but could not suspend disbelief long enough for the film trailer.

"The real story".
The runaway loco was a SD40-2. The chase loco was a SD40-2, CSX6462.
The chase loco running backwards at up to 65 mph and caught the runaway which was running at near full throttle. The chase loco caught the runaway which was at about 51mph

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... e55IAR5HXY

I have the story from Reader's Digest in PDF format. Hardly resembles the fantasy. Good for children who like carnage and watching people die.

Rich
 #871759  by CPSK

There was actually far less carnage in "Unstoppable" than I would have expected from a Hollywood production. While there were certainly many things that were far from accurate, I enjoyed the movie for what it was. I am hoping that some people who saw the film might have second thoughts the next time they are stopped at a railroad crossing and think about going around the gates. But that might be asking too much from the average human being.

FW
 #871826  by MNCRR9000

lexon wrote:Pure fantasy. I like train watching but could not suspend disbelief long enough for the film trailer.

"The real story".
The runaway loco was a SD40-2. The chase loco was a SD40-2, CSX6462.
The chase loco running backwards at up to 65 mph and caught the runaway which was running at near full throttle. The chase loco caught the runaway which was at about 51mph

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... e55IAR5HXY

I have the story from Reader's Digest in PDF format. Hardly resembles the fantasy. Good for children who like carnage and watching people die.

Rich
Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting stuff.
 #871966  by CPSK

Interestingly, the loco's number 777 is the symbol used on the CSX jobs on the Northern branch in New Jersey.
Maybe we could create a spoof on the movie, a horror flick that would use the number 666 instead of 777.

FW
 #872282  by daylight4449

CPSK wrote:Interestingly, the loco's number 777 is the symbol used on the CSX jobs on the Northern branch in New Jersey.
Maybe we could create a spoof on the movie, a horror flick that would use the number 666 instead of 777.

FW

i get it :P
 #873184  by RDG467

I posted to the PA Railfan thread before I found this one. I went to see this with my wife on Saturday and told her I'd do my best to bite my tongue and not comment at the silliest scenes.... My tongue still hurts........

It seems like they were 50-50 with the rr-related dialogue- i.e. what's a substation, and why is there a RIP (repair-in-place) track in the middle of nowhere?? Why did Denzel keep using the handheld instead of the cab radio?

How do you get a half-union shop? (Opening scenes.)

Why was there a manaully controlled switch in an otherwise CTC-controlled RR? (The spot where Ned the Welder waits for the train near the beginning of the pic and meets the high rail pickup.....)

During the failed first attempt to slow the train, why wouldn't someone board the lead unit from the second unit of the rescue engines? Surely, that would've been less dangerous than flying the superstud to the top of the 777....

Why did the train speed up again after the 'miraculous' save at the 15 mph curve? Did the brakeshoes burn off of the cars after Denzel set the handbrakes? How big of a flat spot would those wheels have after sliding at 40 mph for an extended period? Would they derail themselves with flat spots that big?

Was the boxcar that the 777 ran through actually made of plywood? It exploded like it was!!! Obviously, in real life, that would've been the 'game over' moment, with a massive derailment on both tracks.

Most of the 40-mph curves that the train made at '70' on their way to the bridge.......

Why didn't any of the police 'brigade' get hit by shrapnel after firing all those rounds into a steel object traveling at '70' mph?

I think that's enough for the moment........we can discuss the Dynamic Brake light show in another post......
 #873469  by daylight4449

2nd trick op wrote:Well, for starters, some of the trailers now playing in theaters indicate a ridiculously high number of grade crossing accidents --- the fact that we know the crossing gates which bloomed all over the L A basin in the wake of Metrolink would prevent this notwithstanding.

I'm afraid it's just going to be more fodder for the NIMBYs and security-obsessed suburban ditzes.
while i cant stand NIMBYs, its a movie, and most of them are educated enough to know tha i hollywood tends to make scenarios like that appear worse than they really are, so im just going to hope that cooler heads will prevail
 #908274  by Tom6921

I got Unstoppable on DVD and watched it several times. One time was with my mom and sister. In the scene with the miraculous save on the 15 MPH curve, the wheels on the inside of the curve lifted off the rail. Would that happen in real life or is it Hollywood effects?
 #908379  by Ghostsoldier

Tom6921 wrote:I got Unstoppable on DVD and watched it several times. One time was with my mom and sister. In the scene with the miraculous save on the 15 MPH curve, the wheels on the inside of the curve lifted off the rail. Would that happen in real life or is it Hollywood effects?
Those are Hollywood effects....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LskiDwGaC6g

...as was the fuel oil tank farm in Bellaire, Ohio (Stanton).

Rob
 #913767  by JasW

Netflix finally delivered the Blu-ray to us yesterday. I'm only a railfan, but I have to say that this was the most realistic RR movie I've ever seen, at least in terms of operations, terminology, etc. The only thing that really bothered me, though, were the speed depictions -- everyone would breathlessly be describing the train as going 70 mph, and then they would cut to a shot of the train traveling at about half that speed.