Railroad Forums 

• Bound For Glory

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#608939  by CLamb

I saw this movie about the life of Woody Guthrie on television the other day. There were many rail scenes. Hopping freight trains played a significant part in the film but one thing struck me as odd. All of the box cars shown were metal. Considering that the period was the 1930s wouldn't there have been a lot of wooden box cars still in use? One shot showed a street running Pacific Electric "Red Car" pass in front on a Los Angeles radio station. Does anyone know where this was filmed?
 #609325  by Mountcastle

I happened to catch pieces of the movie, as well. I would certainly surmise that wooden cars would have comprised a good deal of the freight consists of that era, but bear in mind the movie was made in--im guessing the 1970s by the looks of the actors--and the studio probably didn't have many wooden cars available to work with.

I have to assume it was shot in Cali; certain of the motive power was recognizable as that of the Sierra Railroad. Hollywood's famous Sierra No. 3--Petticoat Junction's "Hooterville Cannonball"(currently undergoing restoration)--could be seen, amongst others.
 #612749  by Aa3rt

I just checked, "Bound For Glory" was indeed released in December of 1976. I recall seeing the movie in the theatre the following year but haven't seen it since, so my memories are very vague and I can't comment on the rolling stock in question. More info on "Bound For Glory" in the link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074235/

One other movie that I recall seeing with a similar scenario was "Emporer Of The North Pole" with Ernest Borgnine, Lee Marvin and Keith Carradine. IMHO, the producers tried very hard to represent the Depression-era Pacific Northwest. However the time setting was spoiled in one scene with some plug-door Spokane, Portland and Seattle 50' foot boxcars in the background, obviously of much newer vintage than the 1930's.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070030/