Railroad Forums 

• TV: Smash Lab

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#498653  by Metalrailz

Did anyone happen to catch Smash Lab on the Discovery Channel last night (Wednesday 1/30). The basis of this episode was to see if they could create an airbag system on the front of a locomotive that would prevent fatalities at a grade crossing collision. The project was a no-go from the very beginning.
Track Condition - Poor
Speed Used to perform tests - 25 MPH

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/smash ... 2942486881

#498791  by Jtgshu

Ive seen each of the three episodes so far and the more I watch it, the more it becomes a waste of my time......

While the train content was cool - a nice and clean, and healthy sounding GP35 with what looked to be like a photo freight (meaning older freight cars with no markings), the whole concept was sort of stupid. Its a good idea, but I can't see how you can make it practical. Have a hard couple and the airbags go off on the loco? hahahhha

Yea, that track was sorry looking - I was more worried about teh train rockin off the rails rather than hitting the car!!!

#499120  by uhaul

Yea, not really practical and what if the locomotive had a plow? Now I know how my friend's car would look after getting in a fight with a Geep.

Groundhog Day

#500533  by Metalrailz

What I was thinking of is what if they were running long hood foward? Are they gonna put airbags on both ends? And after the airbag is deployed would they be able to run the locomotive after the collision?

JT your right about the hard couple.... 1 to go, half 20 ft...far enough...ahhh damnit the airbag just deployed and broke the drawbar on the car were hitching up to...

#500899  by Jtgshu

or worse yet, the airbag deployes and bounces the car you were trying to couple down the track!!!

"GET BACK HERE!!"

#502512  by Wisconsin Railfan

I try not to be negative, but that show is... well, bad!! (not good) :P