Railroad Forums 

• MOVIE: Silver Streak

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#325899  by Engineer James

Well, I finally watched "Silver Streak" on the AMC network yesterday. I cannot believe that they used a pair of EX-CP E8's. One was #4070, and I did not get to see the sister unit number. Also, common, the route "AM Road", that's just not origional.... they could have come up with better....
Last edited by Engineer James on Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#326084  by chuchubob

Amtrak refused to cooperate, so the train scenes were filmed in Canada using CP FP7A 4070.

#326103  by Engineer James

Interesting. What "BIG" station did they use? Also in the scene where the Cop calls the Swtchman, and tells that the Silver is a run away, you can just BARELY Make out in the background, a BN SW unit, pulling some cars. The Dark Green Paint, and Road Number near the front gave it away. However, the coaches it was pulling, looked just like the ones that they were using. So a few questions araise....

Who donated the coaches?

Was #4070 really crashed or was another loco just staged to look like it?

Was there nother locomotive behind the train when it was uncupled from the 2 units, and baggage to stop them?

What was the Sister CP Unit road number?

Could a Tool Box...

A)Be placed on a passenger locomotive to hold the Deadmans Pedal?

B)Wouldn't the front 2 units, and baggage slam on their brakes as soon as the airhose was cut?

I mean I know its just a movie, but, if they want it to look real..... and believeable.... :-D :-D :-D :-D

#326155  by Aa3rt

This is the fourth thread that has been started about this movie-perhaps you can find answers to your questions here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28574
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20718
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5760

#326551  by Engineer James

Sorry, Aa3rt. Did not.

#404456  by jscola30

IICR, for the actual scene, they took the loco out to an old warehouse and did crash it. For the aftermath, it was a Canadian station...I forget, and apparently I read somewhere that allota passengers didn't know a movie was being shot and were quite conserned seeing a locomotive in the station!

#404572  by Engineer James

Sounds good, that means that they would have gotten "real" expressions from the passengers going to and from their trains.

#406516  by Gilbert B Norman

Likely file footage, but the scenes immediately before the "crash" were approaching C&NW Station in Chicago. However, the actual crash was into a model intending to resemble Toronto Union Station.

One of the wisest decisions Amtrak ever made (and why ever did the Canadian Pacific sign on) was to steer clear of that atrocity of a movie. In view of the number of safety violations depicted, how anyone with a serious interest in railroad industry affairs could embrace that production escapes me.

#406701  by jscola30

Was CP running passenger at that time?

Also I read on a movie innacuracies website that when the cars were uncoupled the air breaks would have stopped both ends of the train, thus preventing the station accident.
 #628788  by atsf sp

When Gene Wilder gets hit off the second time with the bend, is that one of the Canadian transcons passes. It looks like Kicking Horse. Any conformation on this. CP did do most of the rail aspects.
 #630242  by GSC

You guys really expect Hollywood to be accurate? "Accurate" is usually boring and doesn't sell tickets.

Same "accuracy" that saw fit to feature an overhead red signal (with a ringing bell, no less) over the subway in "Speed". Also responsible for the "End Of Track" at the Mexican border where SP 4449 was "wrecked" in the movie (title escapes me right now) where Kirk Douglas as an old man came back for one more crooked escapade.

Hollywood imagination makes it fun. Where else can you see 200 Chicago and Illinois police cars can be wrecked?
 #630257  by amtrakhogger

GSC wrote:You guys really expect Hollywood to be accurate? "Accurate" is usually boring and doesn't sell tickets.

Same "accuracy" that saw fit to feature an overhead red signal (with a ringing bell, no less) over the subway in "Speed". Also responsible for the "End Of Track" at the Mexican border where SP 4449 was "wrecked" in the movie (title escapes me right now) where Kirk Douglas as an old man came back for one more crooked escapade.

Hollywood imagination makes it fun. Where else can you see 200 Chicago and Illinois police cars can be wrecked?
I think that movie was "Tough Guys."
 #631225  by GSC

You are right, Amtrakhogger, I couldn't remember the title. Also had Burt Lancaster in it.

"Wrecking" the 4449 was fun, I think Railfan mag ran an article on how they did it. Props and miniatures among other things.