Railroad Forums 

• FED UP WITH RAILPICTURES.NET

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#361712  by Conrail1990

I dont know if anybody has noticed this but alot of people on railpictures.net have been putting the wrong company names. example: Putting Amtrak as the name for a NS Dash-9. More surprisingly the people who are doing it have over 100 photos on the site.

#367296  by Matt K Dettman

Conrail1990 wrote:I dont know if anybody has noticed this but alot of people on railpictures.net have been putting the wrong company names. example: Putting Amtrak as the name for a NS Dash-9. More surprisingly the people who are doing it have over 100 photos on the site.
I've noticed that too. However, Amtrak may just be a place marker where the NS unit showed up. A city/town/state location might be familiar to someone who knows where it is such as Ridgefield Park, NJ, but Amtrak might signify ownership of a particular line in the area and the NS unit showed up on a job that ran on that line on that day.

Just my 0.02 kopecks.
 #382035  by Dave Carson

Hi all,

I'm new here and from across the Atlantic. I too am hacked of with RailPictures elitist disappear up their own backsides attitude. I am sure that they are even anti-British - although they deny it! I worked for 12 years as an operational manager in a London Underground train maintenance depot (yard to you guys), I submitted some photos of underground trains undergoing various maintenance activities (very rarely seen, even over here) and was told 'badly cropped', 'too many tracks' (excuse me, its a train maintenance yard there's going to be lots of tracks), even 'too many trains of the same type'! I could go on and on.

Could someone in RailPictures please tell me this - How much of your employees brains are removed before they commence employment with you? What you rejected on your site, became award winners on Railroad Picture Archives. To RailPictures: you are the loser and whilst you continue that 'holier than thou, head up your own backside' attitude, you'll always be the loser.

Spleen vented!

Dave Carson
 #382052  by Dave Carson

I've appealed to them about my rejections, I've asked the occasional embarrasing question and they doggedly stick to their opinions and their rules.

Another recent example of their stupidity and incompetence was when I submitted a photo of a train on the Southend Pier Railway, it was rejected due to 'poor cropping' (no cropping took place), 'too much foreground' (er, the train is on a PIER) and 'too much sea' (For God's sake, it's a bloody seaside pier, and the longest one in the world)!

I feel sorry for the mothers of these morons in Railpictures, they concieved them!

You can see the same photo in Railroad Picture Archives and on funimag.com - a French owned website (bilingual) dealing with funicular and unusual railways.

Dave Carson

#382064  by calaisbranch

To those who are thinking of giving up on RAILPICTURES, keep trying!
Don't let a few rejects get you down. I will agree with one thing that our hig-and-mighty AB says.......You live and learn from your stuff. I look at some of my old stuff and say, "Man that sucks!" Everyone has different ways of looking at their environment, including train shots. Just gotta keep working at it. Can't wait to see if our "Lords of the Pics" tries to correct my choice of "Speak" on here.

#382068  by calaisbranch

BTW, my name is Jeff Bray for those who thought I was hiding. I shoot for pleasure since railfanning is a HOBBY to me. Couldn't care less about what some people on sites think of my stuff. They're not the ones taking what I see. Remember that next time you like what you're filming. Don't worry what other's think. If they like your stuff, all the better. If not, their loss. Go with your gutt and don't give up!

JB

#382110  by calaisbranch

Dave,

Apparently someone edited my earlier post. Only half of my first one is still on the board. SOMEONE didn't like the personal attack section. With that, you would have known the post wasn't for you.

JB
 #382130  by Dave Carson

Hi Jeff,

Sorry about the confusion, but I assume that this site get regularly hacked, if that is the case, then I request that the Moderator(s) look into it otherwise I'm outta here!

Dave

#382153  by Aa3rt

Gentlemen,

The site has NOT been hacked! Things were becoming a little too heated and personal and I edited a couple of posts.

I'd also made a post of my own which I submitted about the time the server decided to "take a dump" and my original message never appeared.

I spent a few hours trying to get back on last evening without success.

I have allowed, against my better judgement, this discussion to continue, even though this is RAILROAD.NET.

Those of us who participate here are fortunate to have this site, free of charge, (unless you choose to make a donation) to discuss railway topics.

One of the ground rules here is that "flaming" or personal attacks will be removed immediately. If you choose to question the intelligence or judgement of those at Railpitures.Net as to why certain photographs were accepted or rejected fine-however, sniping between forumers here will not be tolerated.

I will allow the discussion to continue for now, however any further discord between participants here at Railroad.Net is unacceptable.

As I mentioned to one forumer in a PM, it is fine to disagree, but please do so in a mature and respectful manner.

Any future incidents of of insults or name calling will result in this topic being locked permanently. I trust that everyone here is intelligent enough to carry on without degenerating into personal attacks.

Respectfully, your moderator, whose almost infinite patience wore very thin yesterday afternoon.
 #382778  by Dave Carson

Hi Jeff,

So we got our wrists slapped by the moderator (ouch). Lert's put it down to bad editing!
Another gripe about our favourite photo site is that everything must've been photographed in glorious Southern Californian sunshine - I have been to CA, NV, AK and NYC and all my US pics were rejected! The best one of all was when I took a pic of two electric locos at Ipswich lurking out of the Christmas fog - it was atmospheric, even eerie! But REJECTED due to poor exposure - Have RailPictures ever ventured outside USA? I doubt it, because here in Europe we have all weathers!

Boy, I feel better now!

Dave Carson

#382888  by Hudson Terminus

We're not overreacting here are we Dave?

Only 12,000 of the 158,000 photos on RP are from all of California. That's less than 8%.

A quick search also revealed that over 2500 pictures have been accepted from the UK. More than Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, or Colorado. Germany has more pictures than New Mexico, and France beats out Wyoming. South Africa has twice as many pictures accepted as Delaware, and China upends Mississippi.

None of my 40 shots were taken in sunny SoCal, but a few did make it in from York, England.
 #383028  by Dave Carson

Attributed to Benjamin Disraeli and Mark Twain plus any corrupt, lying politician on either side of the Atlantic:

"There's Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics"

I off to terrify another complete stranger!!!!

Dave Carson
 #383456  by calaisbranch

Dave Carson wrote:Hi Jeff,

So we got our wrists slapped by the moderator (ouch). Lert's put it down to bad editing!
Another gripe about our favourite photo site is that everything must've been photographed in glorious Southern Californian sunshine - I have been to CA, NV, AK and NYC and all my US pics were rejected! The best one of all was when I took a pic of two electric locos at Ipswich lurking out of the Christmas fog - it was atmospheric, even eerie! But REJECTED due to poor exposure - Have RailPictures ever ventured outside USA? I doubt it, because here in Europe we have all weathers!

Boy, I feel better now!

Dave Carson

Another rail magazine, CTC(or what was), catered a lot to West Coast railfanning in the US. Then again, they were out of Washington State, so what can you expect I guess? All the others are the same to an extent, depending where they are. Every area also has those certain few "Better than Thou" photographers who put down the work(pics) of others to make them feel better about their own. Under-appreciated childhoods I guess.

I did actually see some Australian stuff on RailPictures a while back, so at least they go out of country! I haven't really even tried to put anything on there in months.

I thought my hands hurt from the cold of this last damn snowstorm we just got yesterday, but it must be from the ruler of Mr. Moderator.

J Bray