Railroad Forums 

• R.E.M. Driver 8

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#253391  by JustaBill

Anybody know where I can get a copy of R.E.M.'s music video for the song Driver 8? I hear it has some good railroad footage but I've never seen it and would like to. I tried searching on the net but couldn't find it. Anyone have a link to it or know where I can download it?

#257524  by Jersey Jeff

The song is probably one of my favorite R.E.M. tunes of all time. I loved it even before I became a railfan! Just googling "Driver 8" +video came up with this:

R.E.M. Succumbs

I bought this tape when it was first released in the late 1980s. "Driver 8" is on it.

There is a short video clip here narrated by Michael Stipe that features some Chessie freight trains.

Here are some interesting factoids about the video:

* The song is about a train engineer who is over-worked and urged by the conductor to take a break. That message could be applied to many facets of life. Trains were chosen according to Buck because the band grew up near the train tracks. According to lead singer Michael Stipe it's because they represent part of "mythological America."

* A harmonica is used to mimic the sound of a train whistle.

* The video for the song was made before Stipe was comfortable lip-synching, so it is comprised almost entirely of footage of trains.

You also may want to post your question on this fan forum.

#258221  by JustaBill

Thanks, I'll check it out

#280790  by the missing link

Thats from "Reconstruction Of The Fables" or vice versa dependinding on how you hold the cover. Any early R.E.M. I highly recomend.
 #1053497  by NH2060

Definitely one of the best songs about trains. Not to mention the great Chessie System footage in the music vid. And no better album for it to be on than "Fables". The R.E.M. of the early to mid-1980s really had something ;-)