Railroad Forums 

• Mapquest

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#228610  by RDGAndrew

Of course, not many people use Mapquest to identify freight railroads, but it's always intriguing to see brand-new streets, roads, interchanges, etc., in online maps, cheek-by-jowl with the "Penn Central" or the "Baltimore & Ohio". If they're going to bother to label it, why wouldn't they check?

#228665  by Finch00

you know most AAA maps are like that too. I allways assumed that whatever source they used just stoped updating names. However i have seen some 'Conrails" lately that were labled PC

#236092  by CoastStarlight99

I have looked at online maps, MS Streets/Trips, as well as Railroad map books, and all have errors...but they do show where the tracks are even if some are no longer used.

#236248  by Aa3rt

In addition to my full-time job, I also work as a weekend dispatcher for a home heating and air conditioning service provider here in southern Maryland. (One of the perks of the job is that I'm just across the street from the Pope's Creek subdivision of CSX (formerly Conrail, PC, Pennsylvania).

We use a product called "ISR Fleet Track" to send service calls to the technicians' trucks. This product shows streets, bodies of water and railroads. I've noted with interest that a couple of abandonded railroads still show up on the maps we use.

One, the former Washington, Brandywine and Point Lookout, extended to the Patuxent River Naval Air Station during World War II, and abandonded in the early 1970's, still shows up on our GPS. Additionally the original grade to Pope's Creek, also abandonded in the late 1960's is shown as an active line.

There is still a dormant U. S. Navy line running from a connection with CSX in White Plains, MD to the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Indian Head. This line is labeled "Penn Central". Of course the PC ceased to exist on April 1, 1976 when it was included in Conrail.

I've often wondered what source the mapmakers or software developers used when labeling these maps.