• Clint Eastwood Production Filmed CUS Sat Oct 29

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by Gilbert B Norman

Yesterday, October 29, railroad related scenes for an upcoming Clint Eastwood directed motion picture, "Flags" were being filmed at Chicago Union Station.

Obviously, any areas in which filming was in process, namely Tracks 2 and 4 as well as the 'Great Hall' (that term is sitrictly Amtrakese; I never heard such during "railroad days') were heavily secured, but I was able to note that the Illinois Railway Museum locomotives and cars that are roadworthy for Class One operation were also "starring". Present were IRM's ex-CB&Q E-5, their ex-BN 'executrain' F-units, 4 heavyweight Coaches and Sleepers, and 4 lightweight cars. Of interest, i also noted the equipment had been pulled from the station at about 430P, and as friends and I rode past Union Street aboard BNSF 1315, there was the equipment. I did not get the best of views as I was seated on Engineer's side.

The "Great Hall' had an "information rotunda' constructed resembling of sorts that at Grand Central complete with a "golden clock'. While less than a good view of such could only be had, it certainly beats the mock candy billboards constructed when a Gary Coleman film, "On the Right Track", was filmed in there when I was still with the railroad industry (circa 1980).

The only "problem' I would have is that I learned the film is set circa 1945 yet the IRM lightweight consist includes an ex-NP/BN/AMTK Slumbercoach that was built during 1958.