• Trains Magazine Sold

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by Jeff Smith

Kalmbach sells: Trains
Kalmbach rail magazines, Trains.com sold to Firecrown Media

WAUKESHA, Wis. — Trains Magazine, the company’s other rail magazines, and Trains.com are among assets that have been sold by Kalmbach Media to Chattanooga, Tenn.-based Firecrown Media, the two companies have announced today (May 1).

Other Kalmbach titles involved in the transaction are Classic Trains, Model Railroader, Classic Toy Trains, FineScale Modeler, and Astronomy, as well as Kalmbach’s online stores.

The publications involved will continue to be based in Wisconsin.

Firecrown Media owns a wide range of transportation brands including Flying, Plane & Pilot, Boating, Yachting, and the supply chain site FreightWaves.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Of interest:

What will happen regarding "The Lifers"?

According to a Kalpub "masthead" staffer I know, there are some 100 of such still on the rolls. Will the lifetime commitment continued to be honored, or will it go the way a carwash chain's around here did when "one fine day" they announced "oh we don't honor that anymore".

Finally, might a redux of "Airliners" and "Ships And The Sea" be in the works.
  by CPF66

I am hoping this will be a good thing for the magazine.
The past 4-5 years the magazine hasn't been run the best. Between major spelling and information errors, to posting extremely watered down, or vague news stories they have had a lot of criticism recently. Personally, I think if they went with the Railfan and Railroad approach of posting a few well researched/written news headlines per week.
  by eolesen

Firecrown also owns AvWeb.com

While I hate to see a family company like Kalmbach disappear, this seems like an ideal fit.

They kept a couple science related websites, so the company will remain, but the core business is now gone...
  by David Benton

CPF66 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:31 am I am hoping this will be a good thing for the magazine.
The past 4-5 years the magazine hasn't been run the best. Between major spelling and information errors, to posting extremely watered down, or vague news stories they have had a lot of criticism recently. Personally, I think if they went with the Railfan and Railroad approach of posting a few well researched/written news headlines per week.
yes , I went from an online digital subscription to the premium sub with access to all magazines for about $ 90, then at the end of the year , I missed the reminder , and lost access to everything. I was so annoyed I didn't bother renewing at all. At least with the digital 3rd party sub, i got to keep the magazines i paid for.
  by umtrr-author

There are already rumors and speculation about the future of the Kalmbach discussion board(s). Apparently the new owner doesn't have them for their current publications.

Perhaps a "market opportunity" for this venue.
  by CNJL

This has got me wondering about delays and when the next issue will come out (not to mention who it will be printed under, Kalmbach or Firecrown). I collect the magazines, and have about 100 of them, including the first 15, 100th, 500th, 1,000th, and last. Glad to see it in better hands though.
  by CNJL

Well, this issue arrived quite literally less than 5 minutes ago, and it IS under Kalmbach. The June 2024 issue is possibly the last Kalmbach-printed issue of Trains Magazine.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Well let's see what happens to the "Lifers"

disclaimer: I'm one of such
  by Tadman

CPF66 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:31 am vague news stories they have had a lot of criticism recently. Personally, I think if they went with the Railfan and Railroad approach of posting a few well researched/written news headlines per week.
There were some inconsistencies and it was very puzzling. Kalmback titles were usually impeccable in their research and writing as their authors were the voice of the hobby for decades. Now it makes a bit more sense. I will probably remain a Classic Trains subscriber as that was my favorite title. I hope the folks working there get a fair deal and some support to put out a better quality journal from the new owners.