Railroad Forums 

• R. J. Corman reactivating a rail-banked line

• For discussion of R.J. Corman Railroad Group Operations. R.J. Corman has several short lines switching operations across the U.S. Official Website: https://www.rjcorman.com
For discussion of R.J. Corman Railroad Group Operations. R.J. Corman has several short lines switching operations across the U.S. Official Website: https://www.rjcorman.com

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#1151778  by mikeexplorer

There is drilling activity in the area where the landfill was supposed to go. Apparently there are large deposits of natural gas and the Resource Recovey LLC is making money with the gas. I also had a few discussions with SSRTA and they do not think the line will be reactivated. In addition, the landfill permit expired so they would have to go through the whole process again.

Mike
 #1166208  by jrevans

mikeexplorer wrote:here is drilling activity in the area where the landfill was supposed to go. Apparently there are large deposits of natural gas and the Resource Recovey LLC is making money with the gas. I also had a few discussions with SSRTA and they do not think the line will be reactivated. In addition, the landfill permit expired so they would have to go through the whole process again.

Mike
Thanks for the update Mike.

If the landfill permit expired, that's likely a big obstacle to overcome.
And I doubt if any more ethanol plants will be built, since that fuel's folly has been seen and hopefully federal subsidies will end for it....

On the positive side, at least we now have legal precedence for reactivation of a railbanked rail line.
 #1173340  by FLRailFan1

Freddy wrote:
FLRailFan1 wrote:I'm glad that a new Railroad is built on a rail-trail. I hope more rail-trails will become railroads again.
You ain't the only one.
I would love to see the Midland (The old New Haven from Hartford to Willimantic) back as a railroad, with a trail next to it!! The line is active to Manchester...
 #1190288  by mikeexplorer

It is in Central PA, the proposed reactivation would have went to here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=gorton+pa ... 13797&z=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is now highly doubtful this line will see reactivation, RRLLC totally withdrew their landfill application and RJ Corman no longer has a need for the rail line. Snow Shoe Rails To Trails has negotiated with RJ Corman for continued usage of the trail, however Corman has closed the viaduct bridge to all users. Its a weird situation because SSRTA owns the railbed now, but because Corman has activation rights, they are somehow liable now. SSRTA is continuing to provide insurance for users of the trail.

I am glad to see this, The last thing we needed was another huge landfill ruining such a scenic area of PA. SSRTA is also one of very few rails to trails that allows motorized usage and it would have been a huge hit to the local economy.
 #1190364  by RussNelson

FLRailFan1 wrote:I'm glad that a new Railroad is built on a rail-trail. I hope more rail-trails will become railroads again.
I do, too. It will make it easier to convert a disused railroad into a trail, because all parties (trail advocates, rail advocates, railroads, and abutting property owners) will have more certain expectations. For example, the CMRR has no (current!) interest in using the tracks between Phoenicia and Highmarket. The sooner it gets converted into a trail, the sooner the railbed will be stabilized against flooding, and the bridges repaired.

For legal reasons, a trail which relies on easements desperately NEEDS at least the potential of being turned back into a railroad. Once that is gone, the easements expire, and there is neither trail nor rail.
 #1204325  by mikeexplorer

The landfill is dead now

Great News!

We have great news! Landfill developer, Resource Recovery, LLC (RRLLC), has withdrawn the landfill permit application! After almost nine years, we have stopped “the largest landfill east of the Mississippi!”

Thank you all so much for your support throughout the years – from the initial sign campaign that lined the roads of our Mountaintop communities in preparation for the Snow Shoe Township June 2004 meeting, to the “Stop the Centre County Dump” sign campaign that put hundreds of signs in yards, windows, and along the roadways throughout Centre and Clearfield Counties, to the great Peale Walk that raised awareness about the area we were trying to protect, to the “Flying Pig Postcard Campaign” that compared the truth to the fiction of RRLLC’s benefit claims, to the many letters you wrote, the petitions you signed, the meetings you attended, the numerous fund raisers you supported, the generous donations you sent year after year, and the words of encouragement that kept our spirits up during some of the most difficult periods.

You folks are great! We couldn’t have done it without you!
Sincerely, People Protecting Communities
 #1204636  by glennk419

mikeexplorer wrote:The landfill is dead now

Great News!

We have great news! Landfill developer, Resource Recovery, LLC (RRLLC), has withdrawn the landfill permit application! After almost nine years, we have stopped “the largest landfill east of the Mississippi!”

Thank you all so much for your support throughout the years – from the initial sign campaign that lined the roads of our Mountaintop communities in preparation for the Snow Shoe Township June 2004 meeting, to the “Stop the Centre County Dump” sign campaign that put hundreds of signs in yards, windows, and along the roadways throughout Centre and Clearfield Counties, to the great Peale Walk that raised awareness about the area we were trying to protect, to the “Flying Pig Postcard Campaign” that compared the truth to the fiction of RRLLC’s benefit claims, to the many letters you wrote, the petitions you signed, the meetings you attended, the numerous fund raisers you supported, the generous donations you sent year after year, and the words of encouragement that kept our spirits up during some of the most difficult periods.

You folks are great! We couldn’t have done it without you!
Sincerely, People Protecting Communities
You're only about two months late. BTW, this is a railroad chat board, not a Sierra Club soapbox.
 #1219842  by Jeff Smith

Please use the report function; moderators are part-time volunteers, and it's easier to find problem areas if you report. As admin, I'd be unlikely to see this as I cover all boards.

Nevertheless, you are correct, this is a railroad discussion and not a name-calling forum. Since the rail-line is dead, (a pity, although I understand no one wants a dump in their backyard), I'll lock the topic, but please take note of proper conduct elsewhere on the board.

Thanks,

Jeff