Railroad Forums 

• Will BNSF Rehire Me?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#987139  by ps2000

Hi all, new to the board here. My question is can I be re-hired by BNSF? I attended the NARS academy and hired out about 5 years ago out of Dilworth, MN. I had to quit because of my wife having some serious medical issues that necessitated me getting back home to Winslow, AZ. I tried all my options to be transferred, but was not able to, so I had to quit. I gave notice and didn't burn any bridges. I want to go back, hopefully in Winslow. but wondering if I'm wasting my time? Any input? Thanks
 #987155  by AEM7AC920

I don't have an official answer but if you want it bad enough why not give it a shot anyways considering you weren't fired nor did you leave on a bad note.
 #987164  by ps2000

Ya I am going to try. Just wondering if anyone has heard of or had experience with getting rehired as a conductor with them.
 #987290  by jz441

ps2000 wrote: My question is can I be re-hired by BNSF?
You will never know unless you try. I have 2 buddy's who were good engineers, left BNSF to cross over to Amtrak in hope of "greener grass"... Now 5 years later, cant stand working for Amtrak and have been trying to come back to BNSF with no luck! I was told, once you leave, there is no turning back!
 #987338  by COEN77

Only way to know is to try. I've known a few people who quit the railroad then later hired back on not recently that was years ago when they didn't have to spend anything on training programs back when a person hired on as a brakemen. It will depend on if they accept that your departure was for valid reasons. You didn't mention how long you worked before leaving. Apparently you excepted a position elsewhere it became a hardship. If they're hiring in Winslow give it a try no one here can answer the question. You might try other railroads beside BNSF even shortlines.