Railroad Forums 

• BNSF systemwide seniority

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#521194  by ocmoore33

i have a interview in Forsyth MT on 4/8/08 im from Louisiana. just wondering if i was hired does system wide senority mean that i can move back close to home if i could hold something. by the way it was not a primaryrecall conductor position.

#521233  by bnsfym

I believe that montana is on the northern line, and if that is true than they do not have systemwide seniority. I only know a couple of people who did transfer from the north line and they had to take the lowest seniority in the system. Basically the north lines are like their own seperate railroad. I may be wrong but...................

#521245  by ocmoore33

if Forsyth MT is on the northern line how hard would it be to transfer or start over on seniority in the southern part of the states. i figue if i get hired with no seniority the best time to try to move is right away. that way i really want be in such a bad fix but closer to home

#521338  by jz441

ocmoore33 wrote:if Forsyth MT is on the northern line how hard would it be to transfer or start over on seniority
It's not hard, but it is a long and painful process... We have a few guys who came down from Northern Lines, and it took them about 6 moths to get the approval.

#521442  by thefoyboy

You are correct about Northern Lines seniority. There are districts that have protected seniority unlike the Santa Fe side of the system. Personally, I am glad to be on the northern lines because I only have to worry about other people from terminals in my district. If I want to go somewhere else...........plunk...........seniority restart.