• NJT Assistant Conductor background check?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by CountryBoy1990

I’ve recently passed the exam for assistant conductor. However, my credit isn’t too good! Does anyone know if bad credit will disqualify you from getting a position in NJT.
  by Acela150

I'll put it this way. My credit is awful. And I've worked for NS. I don't think you have anything to worry about. ;) The fair credit reporting act relates to job history I believe. Or at least that's how it was explained to me. But I really don't think that's true.
  by Engineer Spike

It’s a little different story in passenger, since you will be handling the company’s money. If your own finances are a shambles, they might be concerned that you may borrow some to make up for your shortfalls. They get funny about these things.

I used to work passenger on Burlington Northern. We had to provide our own money to make change with. One day I had to go grocery shopping, and the bank wasn’t convenient to getting to the market. I spent MY change money. My job worked afternoons, so I went to the bank’s ATM on the way to work. Naturally, I got $20 bills. We used to be able to get new ticket duplexes, and also change from the ticket agent. I told her that I needed change because I had spent it. She started sushing me. I said it’s my money, and she was looking around as if to see if someone else had heard me. As I said, the change was provided by each trainman and conductor personally. I hadn’t ever touched company funds, but it was somehow a touchy point.
  by CountryBoy1990

@Engineer Spike, did they question you about your credit duringthe interview/hiring process? Do you think not so good credit will disqualify me?