Railroad Forums 

• Out of State NJ Transit Engineer Employment

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1489284  by shizzy617

Hello railroaders! I applied for NJ Transit's Locomotive Engineer Training Program (LETP) back in April and got word today that I will take their written test in 2 weeks in New Jersey. My question to anyone in familiar with NJ Transit and New Jersey is does the agency provide relocation assistance for persons coming out of state to be in the LETP? I'm from Massachusetts
 #1489322  by matawanaberdeen

shizzy617 wrote:Hello railroaders! I applied for NJ Transit's Locomotive Engineer Training Program (LETP) back in April and got word today that I will take their written test in 2 weeks in New Jersey. My question to anyone in familiar with NJ Transit and New Jersey is does the agency provide relocation assistance for persons coming out of state to be in the LETP? I'm from Massachusetts
My guess would be no, but they are hurting for Engineers so maybe they are at this point.
 #1489339  by DutchRailnut

If they know your from out of state , they may be very cautious about you taking the training and then leaving.
 #1489346  by Gadfly

DutchRailnut wrote:If they know your from out of state , they may be very cautious about you taking the training and then leaving.
I would doubt they would for 1st time employers. Once you are covered by the agreement, you would then be covered as per said agreement for subsequent moves that are caused by the company.

GF
 #1489381  by DutchRailnut

NJT has had severe problem with Engineers defecting to other railroads.
According their own reports.