Railroad Forums 

• Will a freight railroad hire a 45 year old newbie?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1487808  by Wayside

They can't legally reject you because of your age. And at 45, my friend, you are not old. I personally trained newhire conductors at CN recently who were much older than you are.
 #1487811  by brim0628

I'll be 37 in a month and was just hired by BNSF as conductor. There were prolly 35 people at the hiring session and I'd guess just by lookin at the crowd, 85% of them were eliminated before we began. As long as you look to be in reasonable shape, are not a complete idiot, can show up to work and know what safety is you will be fine. Just my opinion.
 #1488235  by umtrr-author

A friend of mine was older than 45 (let's just leave it there) and was hired on by NS. He decided he didn't like it and left after a few months. Apparently a non-trivial number of new hires also do the same... if they make it through the process at all.

Good luck!