Railroad Forums 

• CSX Train Dispatcher.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1472467  by tslo91

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forums here at yardlimits and was hoping for some info on being a dispatcher with csx. Any information you can give me would be much appreciated. I'm really curious about training, how stressful and difficult the position may be, and what your work/home life is like. I will be applying for the position and would just like to see what everyone has to say to prepare myself if I'm fortunate enough to be selected. I'm currently a furloughed conductor.

Thank you.
 #1472545  by Gadfly

tslo91 wrote:Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forums here at yardlimits and was hoping for some info on being a dispatcher with csx. Any information you can give me would be much appreciated. I'm really curious about training, how stressful and difficult the position may be, and what your work/home life is like. I will be applying for the position and would just like to see what everyone has to say to prepare myself if I'm fortunate enough to be selected. I'm currently a furloughed conductor.

Thank you.
Well, apparently you have some experience under your belt and its not like you're walking in off the street. You'd already know the Rules. You *should* know a bit about the life to begin with. If I remember correctly, dispatchers work in "shifts", so at least you'd know what shift you were working. Prolly you'd come in on 3rd trick with rest days in the middle of the week. I remember from NS that dispatchers still had a bit of "seniority", so prob'ly senior dispatchers would move UP to a better choice of slots, rest days, etc. Some dispatcher work a "swing" shift whereby their rest days alternate from week to week. That's a bummer, IMHO! I worked some of that off the clerks' extra board. Never did like that. I did it as an Block Operator, so its about the same thing. AT least its better than that call to protect on T & E at odd times and odd days. This way you can work your shift and go home!I hope you get it if you want it!

GF
 #1472557  by Wayside

One advantage to being a dispatcher is that federal hours of service limit you to 9 hours on duty. Working the day shift, when all the track workers are out, is the most stressful -- so having less seniority may be a blessing. Good luck!
 #1472755  by tslo91

Thank you all for the replies. I have updated my resume, cover letter and references last night but when I went to actually submit everything on the gateway it was down for maintenance so I will be trying again tonight. I will post an update on here after everything is said and done, hopefully I'm not rejected right away. Once again thank you for the input it is appreciated.
 #1473149  by tslo91

UPDATE.

Tuesday 5/15/18, submitted resume.
Wednesday 5/16/18, received email stating I was moved to the next step.
Thursday 5/17/18, received a call and setup a interview for monday.
 #1476605  by Gadfly

tslo91 wrote:UPDATE.

Tuesday 5/15/18, submitted resume.
Wednesday 5/16/18, received email stating I was moved to the next step.
Thursday 5/17/18, received a call and setup a interview for monday.
Good Luck! My railroad (SOU and ultimately, NS) liked to hire from within. You've got an edge over anyone off the street. You must know the ropes already, and they like that! :-D

GF