Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak training timeline and details

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1451451  by tundraboomer

Questions about Amtrak's training process. This is for a locomotive engineer trainee. I have already been through training on two other carriers so this isn't about rules exams and such, more about the timeline and what to expect if I am offered a position. Anyone with knowledge, especially those who did this recently, would be very much appreciated. If I do this, I am on the West Coast just for context.

1. Once you receive a job offer, how long do you normally have between accepting the offer and having to report to Delaware for training?

2. Does Amtrak provide transportation from your hiring terminal to Wilmington or are you on your own?

3. Does Amtrak provide a hotel room during training or other benefits such as local transportation or a per diem?

4. Would it be a benefit to have my own wheels there?

5. How long is the classroom part of the training program (before OJT)?

6. How is seniority ranking within your class determined? Is it test scores or something else?

7. Is classroom training 5 days a week or something else?

Anything else a new-hire should know? Any and all replies are appreciated.
 #1451571  by 8th Notch

tundraboomer wrote:Questions about Amtrak's training process. This is for a locomotive engineer trainee. I have already been through training on two other carriers so this isn't about rules exams and such, more about the timeline and what to expect if I am offered a position. Anyone with knowledge, especially those who did this recently, would be very much appreciated. If I do this, I am on the West Coast just for context.

1. Once you receive a job offer, how long do you normally have between accepting the offer and having to report to Delaware for training?
I think that varies on your location, I found out I was selected about 3-4 weeks before I was due to start class.

2. Does Amtrak provide transportation from your hiring terminal to Wilmington or are you on your own?
They provide a travel voucher

3. Does Amtrak provide a hotel room during training or other benefits such as local transportation or a per diem?
It was the extended stay suites about 2 years ago and 1 van is assigned for the whole class. I believe per diem is $20-30 per day.

Of course

Can’t speak for West Coast because you guys don’t have electrics however 7-10 weeks.

6. How is seniority ranking within your class determined? Is it test scores or something else?
There are a number of factors, re entry engineers are first, prior Amtrak employees, then outsiders by physical date and time

It was 5 days a week however the last few classes have done 6
Study, ask questions, and be prepared to learn!
 #1454200  by MrAdvice

Normally 35-45 days.

They can provide a travel voucher. Just be sure to ask.

Yes, and a $25/day food stipend.

Depending on how far you live, it may be in your best interest to drive. I say this only because a lot folks chose to go home for the weekends.

It never ends.

Based on how well you do on the interview.

5 days per week, M-F.

Do not bother to apply unless you can work ALL holidays, weekends and nights for the first 5 or so years of employment. But then again, I've met several engineers who saw their first weekend off after 10 years of climbing the seniority roster.

#1454481  by Acela150

That's exactly what I thought. Giving seniority off of interview performance is BS and doesn't make sense, not to mention the BLE and UTU would be all over that.

How do they award seniority on internal hires? e.g. Conductor to Engineer?
 #1455462  by MrAdvice

Acela150 wrote:I actually believe that seniority is by your physical date and time. Awarding seniority by interview performance doesn't make any sense.
Why would the hiring managers leave a decision as impactful as seniority up to the medical facility? Candidates ARE ranked on how well they demonstrate their customer service knowledge during the interview. That's how it has always been.
 #1455469  by 8th Notch

MrAdvice wrote:
Acela150 wrote:I actually believe that seniority is by your physical date and time. Awarding seniority by interview performance doesn't make any sense.
Why would the hiring managers leave a decision as impactful as seniority up to the medical facility? Candidates ARE ranked on how well they demonstrate their customer service knowledge during the interview. That's how it has always been.
I don’t know which RR you work for but that couldn’t be any more incorrect in this case. First off the medical facility has nothing to do with it aside from reporting physical date and time back to Amtrak who then uses the info to establish seniority for external candidates! This has been how all major class 1’s determine seniority, it’s in any BLET or UTU agreement, the carriers just hire and abide by the rules!

Rule #3
http://bletamt.org/downloads_pdf/BLET-A ... %20CBA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1455554  by Acela150

8th Notch wrote:
MrAdvice wrote:
I don’t know which RR you work for but that couldn’t be any more incorrect in this case. First off the medical facility has nothing to do with it aside from reporting physical date and time back to Amtrak who then uses the info to establish seniority for external candidates! This has been how all major class 1’s determine seniority, it’s in any BLET or UTU agreement, the carriers just hire and abide by the rules!

Rule #3
http://bletamt.org/downloads_pdf/BLET-A ... %20CBA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The quote in bold and red font is what I was referring to. You can't award seniority off of interview performance. That wouldn't fly with the unions. Cause that would leave train masters up to deciding seniority and that's non sense. Deciding seniority off of who gets their physical done first is fair.
 #1461446  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Regarding establishing seniority: If you already have a Class I certification, your seniority date on the National Roster is the date that you report for your physical. Otherwise, your seniority date is THE LAST DAY OF CLASS. Many people have gotten screwed over the past year or two because Labor Relations and others have been misinformed. It's in our contract in black & white.
 #1461535  by tundraboomer

AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer wrote:Otherwise, your seniority date is THE LAST DAY OF CLASS.
How are students in the same class ranked? If there are, say, 5 people in a class all marking up the same day, how is the seniority among those 5 determined? Where I am now it's based on total test scores (combined written test score and field evaluation, or "check ride" score).