Railroad Forums 

• NS - Columbia SC info

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1397192  by scje953

Does anyone know the state of NS in Columbia, SC? I've heard that their traffic may increase with time as a result of Charleston Harbor being deepened. I applied to the conductor position on the NS site about a month ago, but haven't heard anything back. It's still in process.
 #1397635  by COEN77

East Coast ports & railroads have been gearing up the last 5 years dredging harbors with railroads revamping & building terminals in anticipation of the increase of container business with the Panama Canal Expansion which opened up June 26th this year.
 #1444353  by scje953

I've noticed there are quite a few openings for Operations Managers at NS, including one in Columbia, SC. It seems they are targeting recent college grads...I have a computer engineering degree from 6 years ago, along with 6 years experience. Think that's too long out of school to land a job at NS? The variety in schedule and environment sound great after years bound to a computer. Does anyone know of any IT guys or programmers that have swapped successfully to a RR career?
 #1463134  by scje953

Does anyone happen to know how susceptible the Columbia, SC NS yard has been to furloughs in the past? Do Charlotte/Augusta/Greenville guys jump to Columbia if there isn't enough work at their respective home terminals? Just trying to get an idea of how stable the work is in Columbia for conductors. Attending a hiring session soon.