Railroad Forums 

• Gillette, WY System transfers

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1220597  by jz441

Gillette is a former BN territory, therefore there is no primary recall... In other words, you can leave as soon as you finish your training, as long as there are vacancies at other locations and your seniority permits. At BNSF, trainmen bid on vacancies. If there is a vacancy in LA or Chicago, you place your bid, and if your seniority permits, you get it. It's that simple. I believe that you have 5 days to report at your new location.
Good luck!
 #1235340  by Engineer Spike

The real question to ask is whether they would pay you to qualify or if you'd be on your own.

I don't know if this has changed, but you might wait to get furloughed. There was an agreement in the CB&Q contract about having a month to relocate if you got cut, and no other positions were available within 50 miles. I used this when I got cut at Aurora, to move to Galesburg.