Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Hiring process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1141514  by ryster

Hello everyone...I am new to this forum, seeking information for self-edification.

I am in my early 30's, and from California. I have a BA. Unfortunately, there's not many jobs to be had in CA right now. I have been looking at re-locating out of state for a while now, but obviously would need a job to do so :)

Consequently, I applied, not thinking I'd seriously be considered, for a conductor trainee position in Gillette Wyoming. I passed the initial screen, then took the computer-based assessment. I got an email and phone call today inviting me to the informational and hiring event in Gillette on 2/11/13. I was wondering, what can I expect from this event? What is the likelihood that I would be extended an offer, provided all other things came back as okay? How many do they typically hire from these events, and how many do they typically invite? What is the starting pay like? What kinds of things should I study up for to sound knowledgeable in my interview? They said that it will be an informational period, followed by an aptitude test, followed by an individual interview, and a hair-follicle drug screening test. What would be a likely time-frame if all of that went well to progress to the next step? What type of work should I expect to do as a conductor trainee?

If someone could provide feedback, that would be most helpful. Thanks!
 #1142184  by Firstout

ryster wrote:Hello everyone...I am new to this forum, seeking information for self-edification.

I am in my early 30's, and from California. I have a BA. Unfortunately, there's not many jobs to be had in CA right now. I have been looking at re-locating out of state for a while now, but obviously would need a job to do so :)

Consequently, I applied, not thinking I'd seriously be considered, for a conductor trainee position in Gillette Wyoming. I passed the initial screen, then took the computer-based assessment. I got an email and phone call today inviting me to the informational and hiring event in Gillette on 2/11/13. I was wondering, what can I expect from this event? What is the likelihood that I would be extended an offer, provided all other things came back as okay? How many do they typically hire from these events, and how many do they typically invite? What is the starting pay like? What kinds of things should I study up for to sound knowledgeable in my interview? They said that it will be an informational period, followed by an aptitude test, followed by an individual interview, and a hair-follicle drug screening test. What would be a likely time-frame if all of that went well to progress to the next step? What type of work should I expect to do as a conductor trainee?

If someone could provide feedback, that would be most helpful. Thanks!

Too bad, you just missed a class out of LA ;)

Seriously though,it varies, based on what your degree is and how much relevant experience you have. There are exceptions, but most guys hired have one thing in common: nothing. Its a pretty darn big crapshoot. Stress safety, ability to work all shifts, safety, ability to remain attentive, safety, any heavy equipment experience you may have, and did I mention safety?

My hiring event (as are most of them) was 70 people, hired 15. It took them from a Thursday to a Tuesday to contact me with the job offer.
When I went through conductor training about 2 years ago, the pay was $156.25 per day, 6 days a week (work 'em or not) After training, you could expect to be furloughed for a while (not very many openings right now in Gillette or Wyoming in general) if traffic doesn't pick back up (which it probably will)
The other terminals you might have to go to around there are Sheridan, Edgemont, Greybull, and Casper.

As a conductor, you will "supervise the operation and administration of the train" (direct rule-book quote) You will probably be riding coal trains to and from Guernsey, as well as working brakeman (assistant conductor basically) jobs on the helpers. Gillette is known for having more officials than employees, so you can expect all that fun...
Expect to be outside a lot, in VERY cold weather, walking the length of a train (up to 2 miles in extreme cases) through the snow looking for a defect that has rendered your train immobile. Expect to spend around 1-2 weeks per month away from home (one night at a time) in a flea-bag motel in Guernsey (a.k.a The Nothing Capital of the USA)

Also expect excellent pay, great benefits, and a lot of get-on/get-off trains. Railroading, as so many others have said, either gets into your blood or it doesn't. I personally enjoy my job, and a lot of guys do. But it can wear you down easily, and you can expect to not have any sort of personal life whatsoever. If you're single, go for it. If you're married, I'd consider staying put.

Good luck!
 #1142206  by ryster

Thanks for the feedback! I have no problem at all with re-locating to Wyoming...I've been wanting to re-locate out of CA for some time now, but obviously need a job to do that first :D I'm a single parent, but getting a support structure going shouldn't be terribly difficult.
 #1331085  by jbrooks226

I am being rejected left and right? What do I do? I had to turn down a postion in 2005, am I now being punished?