Railroad Forums 

• REDI Center Questions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1066189  by bigbeadbeano77

Hello All

I have been hired and given a start date at the REDI in late August. Hired as carman. I have lots of questions regarding the training experience and if anyone can share, i would appreciate it.

Fly or Drive? Traveling from Western MD

What can I expect at the REDI center?

If I fly, can I walk to the places I need to get to ( groceries, laundry, etc) for 5 weeks?

Any one have any insight into carman training?

I'd apprecaite any help you can give.

Thanks
 #1066510  by pswag115

I flew down from the Philly area, if I did it again I would drive. They use a couple of different hotels, all have food in walking distance. I was there for conductor training so I cant help with carman stuff.
 #1066974  by jsumner618

You should definitely drive. It will probably suck from that far. But will for sure be worth it when your here. You can can walk to various places. Like from my hotel there's a publix maybe half a mile. But you don't want to carry your groceries that's far back. There's a walmart like 3 miles away, alot cheaper. A guy from my class came from Maryland and he is getting like $600 for travel expenses. That's for round trip. I'm here now, staying at the extended stay America in Sandy Springs. Here for conductor as well., so can't help ya with the info. Just listen to the instructors and prepare to study like crazy. Good luck.
 #1067000  by CSX Conductor

When I attended REDI for engineer school I drove from Boston because there was no way I was going to be stuck for 4 weeks without a car. If you choose to drive they should pay mileage.

With your own vehicle there you have more freedom to explore the areas and it's just easier to get around.

However, due to limited parking they usually are pretty strict about you using the transportation that they provide between your hotel & The REDI Center.