Railroad Forums 

• Livingston & Billings questions

• Montana Rail Link (reporting mark MRL) is a privately held Class II railroad in the United States. MRL, which operates on trackage originally built by the Northern Pacific Railway, is a unit of the Washington Companies, and is headquartered in Missoula, Montana. Website: montanarail.com
Montana Rail Link (reporting mark MRL) is a privately held Class II railroad in the United States. MRL, which operates on trackage originally built by the Northern Pacific Railway, is a unit of the Washington Companies, and is headquartered in Missoula, Montana. Website: montanarail.com
 #1431852  by frankgaron2

Hi All:

I'll be in MT first week of June & want to shoot as much MRL as I can get. How shootable is is the shop area in Livingston from public property?

Any power usually around in Billings or Laurel?

How many MRL trains (Not BNSF) typically run on this part of the line & what days/times of day might I try for?

Any intel would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Frank
 #1433518  by atsf sp

The shop at Livingston is almost completely view able by public land. There is a public road that completely borders it. Billings proper usually doesnt have power in it except for the lone switcher, usually an sw. Laurel always has power ranging from MRL to BNSF.