Railroad Forums 

• Georgia Central Railway (Genesee & Wyoming)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1398177  by Jeff Smith

The GC is getting some more business from Kia via Cordele: JOC.com
Kia deal hints at greater potential for inland port network feeding Savannah
According to the terms of the agreement announced earlier this month, Kia auto parts that have always moved through the port of Savannah will now reach the Kia plant by first travelling via short line rail — via the Heart of Georgia Railroad and Georgia Central Railroad — to the Cordele Inland Terminal. Those parts will then move via motor carrier to Kia’s plant in West Point, Georgia, some two hours away.
 #1506887  by Jeff Smith

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... ter--57424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. (G&W) today announced its Georgia Central Railway LP subsidiary will serve a major plastics distribution facility that's under construction in Pooler, Georgia.

Georgia Central will transport bulk plastic resin to the new Plastic Express multi-commodity transloading center beginning in late 2019. Carloads are expected to exceed 5,000 annually. The resin and other bulk commodities will be repackaged and trucked to the nearby Port of Savannah for export to international markets.

One of 13 G&W railroads that operate in Georgia, the 211-mile Georgia Central transports freight between Macon and Savannah and interchanges with CSX, Norfolk Southern Railway and G&W's Heart of Georgia Railroad.
 #1512829  by Jeff Smith

Upgrades to 286k coming: https://www.ttnews.com/articles/fra-awa ... al-railway
Dublin, Ga., may only have a population of a little over 16,000, but its importance to the movement of freight through the Peach State has earned it $8 million in grants for improvements to its rail infrastructure.

A $4 million grant from the Federal Railroad Association was given to the city through its relatively new Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvements Program, which was matched by the Georgia Central Railway.
The grant “enables the railroad to complete a series of track, bridge, tie and surfacing improvements to accommodate industry-standard 286,000-lb. rail cars for its entire corridor,” it said.

Additionally it said it will increase speeds from 10 mph to 25 mph for a portion of the line.
 #1617446  by RailfaningUSAonyt

I live in Dublin, Ga a few places that have poped up near me where i live off of 441 bypass were gonna get intermodal yard where semi- trucks will drop of and GC will pick it up and take them to the port or macon yard. The is district may get back up in shape by time the yard get up and running i seen a NS hy rail truck last month siting in downtown dublin by the mini NS yard in downtown dublin. Ns only needs to get the crossing back up and the rails that they took up and put new ones down. GC has help NS many of times with rerouted trains so NS should people GC. I hear horns all the time hear in dublin in the near future we should have around 10 ish trains some and if NS comes and helps we could get some new places for them to work. People just not gonna build a place where there's no railroad around and expect a train to come and pick there stuff up. it would be way more easier for them to pick up NS east rook loads up at there yard in dublin instead of taking it all to the yard. I know its more money and more people working a the train but it gets the job done faster and more people will come in the dublin area that needs By rail service but the GC can only haul so much and they need a Class 1 railroad like NS to help out. NS stop servicing dublin because of the lack of By rail service but there should be a lot of stuff coming these few years.
 #1617465  by Jeff Smith

Welcome aboard and great news! I used to live in Statesboro and often wondered how the action in Dublin is/was. Any news on the trackage between Swainsboro and Vidalia?
 #1617467  by RailfaningUSAonyt

Jeff Smith wrote:Welcome aboard and great news! I used to live in Statesboro and often wondered how the action in Dublin is/was. Any news on the trackage between Swainsboro and Vidalia?
So i live a Mile from GC line they have one from sav-Mac early morning idk nothing about Statesboro but i belive yall still get servered because the have to make it to Sav. Then they turn around in Macon and head to Vidalia and tie down or take it to sav. If u wanna know anything about road power etc just let me know.
 #1617468  by RailfaningUSAonyt

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:49 am Welcome aboard and great news! I used to live in Statesboro and often wondered how the action in Dublin is/was. Any news on the trackage between Swainsboro and Vidalia?
OK so I hear around 3 trains Mon-Sat GC normal never runs on Sundays.
1 around 5-10 Am then the next train is 12:30-4Pm and the last train of the day is a night train around 8Pm-1Am and the dublin local unkown times