Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Valley Dining Car Department

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#173380  by njmidland

Does anyone own (or otherwise know of) any Lehigh Valley recipe book, rule book for the dining car department, or similar book governing how there dining cars were operated?

It seems that since LV passenger service ended so early a lot of this kind of stuff had disappeared.
 #173691  by Lehighrrgreg

I believe Ive got some sort of rule book and an excerpt from a recipe book somewhere, I'll have to get into my files.

#173698  by njmidland

Would love to see them. I have some Erie and EL DC Dept. rulebooks and EL recipe orders.
 #756500  by lvrr325

Probably gone with the leftover china when Conrail demolished the headquarters building in Easton - I'd watch eBay, what little is out there turns up there from time to time.
 #783980  by psoyring

Actually the Lehigh Valley china is a very interesting story, when the railroad stopped operations both the china and the silver were sold at a sale somewhere around Allentown. When I started collecting in the late 1970s the china was pretty much non-existent, and any marked plate went for $300 or more. Sometime around 2007 whoever had a large stash of LVRR china started to release it slowly onto ebay, and now it can be purchased for somewhat reasonable prices, about $60 for the backmarked pieces. The problem is that the top marked dishes (flag logo) were made prior to the 1930's so that by the time they ended service, there wasn't much of that stuff around, so for the flag china over $300 is still often the norm.

Phil