Railroad Forums 

• Portland, CT = Midstate/Murphy Rd

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1207174  by bwparker1

Was out and around central CT today for work and had the opportunity to visit RED in Portland CT...

Spur recently rebuilt by the PWRR using concrete ties is ready to go, but RED is still waiting for state permitting approval to use the spur and to erect a structure over the spur. There was no sign of re-construction at the old USA C&D operation, totally shut down after the roof collapse.

Also, the old Smurfit-Stone building appears to be in use by someone, but no signs that rail is at all involved in whatever operation has taken over the building.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Portland ... t&t=h&z=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- BWP
 #1273077  by bwparker1

I learned from a friend that the P&W RR brought in a special movement of a heavy transformer, with the final destination being the RED Technologies siding in Portland, CT that was built a few years ago. The transformer has already been craned off of the flat car, but it is still at RED with the movement to the final destination this evening. So the swing bring across the CT River was used recently. The spur is still not in use by RED Technologies at this time.
Heavy Transformer
Heavy Transformer
image.jpg (40.07 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
 #1312687  by Pwrrfan

So i've heard some things about the future of Mid-State. One thing I've heard is that they might rebuild. Another is that they are done in Portland. I was told by a railroad employee that they still own the siding and won't sell it, which is pretty unfortunate because apparently 2 businesses have tried to move in there to do business with the railroad. It is interesting that their equipment is still there which would indicate they might rebuild, but I'm not too optimistic about it. It's too bad that about 13 years ago, when they first opened, CT-1 would bring 10 cars or more over just for them, and then they'd have more cars for Stone Container.
 #1316565  by Pwrrfan

That photo pertaining to the special "high and wide load." In May 2014 the P&W was contracted to bring a 130 ton reactor for CL&P over to Portland since it couldn't make it over the Arrigoni Bridge. It was brought over on an 8-axle TTX flat-bed and dropped on the Mid-State siding. A GATX stone car, used as a buffer car, was placed in between the 2 engines and the car so that the weight would transfer evenly while they crossed the bridge.