Railroad Forums 

• G&W to acquire P&W

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#1398414  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ebtmikado wrote:It looks like all, or at least most, of the other 100+ G&W roads have kept their original names.
Why would P&W's name change?

Lee

If it merges reporting marks with NECR into one contiguous railroad somebody's getting a name change.
 #1398644  by BandA

Too many "central" railroads. NYC, NECR, Mass Central, Central Mass, CMQ. P&W is the less generic and better name. P&W's red & black livery is attractive and will be missed if they adopt the G&W colors.
 #1398963  by Ridgefielder

Lincoln78 wrote:Possible names:

Burlington Southern

Providence Pacific (dream big- maybe they'll end up owning UP..)

Or they could buy a defunct airline and use that name. I was going to suggest Northeast but they folded into Delta. And were originally part of B&M/MEC..
Well with CSOR in there they now connect New York, New Haven, and Hartford... :wink:
 #1399177  by DutchRailnut

not really, SLE passengers would be confused seeing anything with paint on it...
 #1399184  by jaymac

"Paint" or "good paint?"
 #1399422  by DutchRailnut

and as quoted from filling:
P&W will continue to operate as a separate railroad, and no material changes in the
general scope or nature of operations, maintenance or service are contemplated. No shippers will
lose access to direct or indirect Class I connections, nor to any short line connections, or lose any
service options. Although P&W will continue to be managed as a separate railroad, the senior
managers of P& W will report to a senior vice president of GWI, who is responsible for oversight
of the Northeast Region. P&W, and its shippers, will benefit from greater coordination and
efficiencies, enhanced financial resources, more robust management support for operations and
safety and a broader set of relationships with national customers as a result of the proposed
Merger.
 #1399471  by boatsmate

G&W will finally gain access to Tiverton, RI!
Did I miss something??

Also I wonder with the take over of GWI, will the P&W dispatch center move to their HQ with all the other Properties are dispatched from?
 #1399585  by YamaOfParadise

jaymac wrote:Here's the G&W STB filing to acquire the P&W:

https://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf ... 241421.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No fair use cuz where would I begin?
No need to worry about fair use, since it's all public information!
 #1399587  by BandA

Really longggg document.....

We know they plan to sell property in East Providence. Is that good or bad? I assume it is bad for railroading because it will be developed for something else like condos or offices and precluded forever from freight.

They are not eligible for automatic "exemption", but they still would like an exemption and to have everything fast tracked so they don't have to hire a trustee and have the railroad in "zombie/brain-dead" status until it is approved. They want an exemption from EIS and historical impacts.

P&W's HQ is in Worcester, but the new subsidiary will be incorporated in RI (I don't know where P&W is presently incorporated)

They are creating a subsidiary and merging it into P&W. P&W will be the new subsidiary of G&W. That's really weird and legalistic. Someone said it was to keep the P&W charter in place. Does P&W presently have any subsidiaries?

Jobs are subject to railroad job protection rules. But, because of the way the merger is happening, they assert they don't have to negotiate until after the merger occurs!!! Also state that they have no idea if layoffs will be needed. I'm sure they know, and since they won't say i'm guessing there will be some.

State that there are no plans for further acquisitions (cough PAR cough cough) that might reduce competition.

Fasttracking merger approval in (did it say ) 60 days for small railroads is quite an advantage!

I don't see any reason this merger won't be approved.