Railroad Forums 

• Effect of Tsunami on Asian Railroads .

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#83407  by David Benton

Whilst the human casualtities are far more important , it is fitting to note that this disaster has had a huge effect on roads , and presumably railroads in this area .
I know that the track in the Sri lankian crash widely reported , was moved aprroximately 4 metres ( 12 foot ) by the waves .

From what i can see of indonesian maps , there are not alot of railroads in the affected region , the main ones been further south .
In Thailand the railways tend to be mor on the east coast , opposite to the affected coast .
Sri Lanka obviously has a affected line , from what i can see of India , they dont appear to have many lines near the affected coast .

#84522  by george matthews

Sri Lanka's government railway is very run down and just staggering along. There must be some doubt about whether this line will be rebuilt. I haven't seen any references to damage in India, Burma or any other country. Somalia has no railways (or government). In Tanzania the line parallel to the coast is well inland. Thailand has no branch to the west coast.

#88571  by george matthews

http://www.webindia123.com/news/showdet ... &cat=India

News >> India
Railway workers have providential escape from tsunami over a cup of tea:-
Nagore | January 17, 2005 4:23:03 PM IST
About a score of railway workers in southern India had a providential escape from the December 26 tsunamis when they took a tea break.
The workers, many of whom lost their houses in the huge tidal waves, at the non-descript Nagore railway station in Tamil Nadu, took a tea break after the late arrival of a train.
The Kamban Express arrived at the station at 5.30 am and all the passengers left the station and only railway staff were there.
Around 9.05 a.m (local time) the fateful Sunday, V.Ponnan and his other staff decided to have a cup of tea before they were to shunt the train to the yard.
When the tsunami waves struck, panic stricken railway staff ran up the stairs leading to the building terrace. They witnessed nature's fury as they saw with their own eyes boats and catamaran being carried by them getting slammed against the rakes of the Kamban Express.
Only a little water entered the station as the coaches, parked on the sea front, acted as a barrier preventing the boats and catamarans from hitting the station building....<<