Railroad Forums 

• India's ambitious plan to get its rail network back on track

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1432271  by jonnhrr

Interesting report from France 24 on India's problem with rail safety and an ambitious plan by the government to turn things around.
Stretching over 70,000 miles, India boasts one of the largest rail networks in the world. But it's also the deadliest. Thousands of people die every year in train accidents in India. Now Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government is making rail safety a priority. It has promised to invest $100 billion over the next five years to help the creaking network get back on its feet - and improve its terrible safety record. Our correspondents report.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNdXFml ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1432446  by jonnhrr

george matthews wrote:I can hear no sound.
Seems to work OK when I click on the link. You might try going to the France 24 page, the article is under "Asia".
 #1432863  by johnthefireman

David Benton wrote:Good in depth report. Man, those French reporters have style.
For a couple of decades (before the internet) I used to receive the weekly airmail version of the UK Guardian newspaper. It included a few pages of both the Washington Post and Le Monde. I found the depth of reporting in Le Monde far surpassed both the UK and US papers.
 #1433631  by george matthews

jonnhrr wrote:Interesting report from France 24 on India's problem with rail safety and an ambitious plan by the government to turn things around.
Stretching over 70,000 miles, India boasts one of the largest rail networks in the world. But it's also the deadliest. Thousands of people die every year in train accidents in India. Now Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government is making rail safety a priority. It has promised to invest $100 billion over the next five years to help the creaking network get back on its feet - and improve its terrible safety record. Our correspondents report.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNdXFml ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would be interested to know whether the safety situation is worse than it was in British days.
 #1436960  by Statkowski

I think the latest figures show 25,000 people a year killed, either by falling off of trains while they hold on outside or riding on the roof (not too smart), getting hit by trains as they walk along the tracks (also not too smart) or ignoring warning signals/gates at grade crossings (getting less smarter), or getting zapped by the 25KV overhead while riding on the roof (absolutely brilliant).