Railroad Forums 

• Transnet in South Africa facing downsizing

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1426326  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:Here's an article posted by John Ashworth in "Friends of the Rail" which sounds so unlikely. Folks diverting electric current from electrified rail lines. Theft of electricity.
Thank you, John.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... s-20170326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think they have electrified some lines at rather low voltages so that there is less danger. There are a few lines at much higher voltage. They were intended for heavy haulage.
 #1426329  by philipmartin

george matthews wrote: I think they have electrified some lines at rather low voltages so that there is less danger.
I wasn't aware of that. I think in terms of the high voltage AC lines where I work. Thank you, George.
 #1426333  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:
george matthews wrote: I think they have electrified some lines at rather low voltages so that there is less danger.
I wasn't aware of that. I think in terms of the high voltage AC lines where I work. Thank you, George.
I can't remember the voltages, and I am too lazy to look them up. I think a lot of the electrified lines are 1500v DC, but I am not sure. The high voltage lines are AC the same as they are in Britain. They can really kill quickly.
 #1426361  by johnthefireman

As far as I can recall the high voltage lines are 25 kV AC and the lower voltage ones are 3 kV DC, but it might be 1.5 kV as George says. The train from Jo'burg to Cape Town changes locomotives twice because of the voltage difference.
 #1426370  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:As far as I can recall the high voltage lines are 25 kV AC and the lower voltage ones are 3 kV DC, but it might be 1.5 kV as George says. The train from Jo'burg to Cape Town changes locomotives twice because of the voltage difference.
The high voltage lines were chosen because those lines carry a lot of heavy freight and were electrified later than the others. In fact, as in Europe, 25kv AC is the new standard.