Railroad Forums 

• Overnight passenger train derailed in southern India

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1418029  by David Benton

Overnight passenger train derailed in southern India, killing at least 32 and injuring 50.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=11786881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1418130  by David Benton

Rail accidents were revenge for surgical strike?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 673793.cms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was linked to the latest crash on the trainsmag site, but I see no mention of it in the article. But I only had a quick scan in my lunch break.
 #1418596  by johnthefireman

India has launched space rockets, has a thriving scientific community, exports computer expertise all over the world, owns global steel mills, as well as car and truck manufacturing, is the largest functioning democracy in the world, has a robotics industry including warehouses that are almost completely automated, etc, etc. I think one can hardly say that the 21st century hasn't reached India yet simply because it has not yet upgraded its railways to the latest high standards. On this very forum other developing countries have recently been criticised for upgrading their railways to the highest modern standards.
 #1418600  by David Benton

India simply has masses of people, you have to see to believe. Every method of transport is packed, a single vehicle crash has been known to kill 20 to 30 people.
I would say most of the 15000 are people killed crossing the tracks, there are small villages everywhere, and few fences. Fencing would probably save the most lives, presuming people didnt cut or steal it.
 #1418607  by philipmartin

johnthefireman wrote:India has launched space rockets, has a thriving scientific community, exports computer expertise all over the world, owns global steel mills, as well as car and truck manufacturing, is the largest functioning democracy in the world, has a robotics industry including warehouses that are almost completely automated, etc, etc. I think one can hardly say that the 21st century hasn't reached India yet simply because it has not yet upgraded its railways to the latest high standards. On this very forum other developing countries have recently been criticised for upgrading their railways to the highest modern standards.
I could add that India has submarines capable of delivering neuclear weapons.
15,000 people killed per year on India's railways. That's like nineteenth century railroading in the rest of the world.