Railroad Forums 

• China launches direct weekly train to London stuffed with go

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1421747  by David Benton

Every day they can chop off the schedule would make the service exponentially more competitive. 7 - 10 days would really knock air freight for a six. Presuming the cost is less, of course.
As for Africa, that may be a bridge to far at the moment.
Australia via ship to Singapore would probably be more viable, though who knows how long they can remain a major food exporter with the ongoing climate change problems.
 #1426330  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:Every day they can chop off the schedule would make the service exponentially more competitive. 7 - 10 days would really knock air freight for a six. Presuming the cost is less, of course.
As for Africa, that may be a bridge to far at the moment.
Australia via ship to Singapore would probably be more viable, though who knows how long they can remain a major food exporter with the ongoing climate change problems.
I would think that once the food is on a ship it would be best to take the ship to a Chinese port. Journeys to and from Europe can gain a lot of time by rail, but via Malaysia much less.
 #1427363  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:And now the return journey begins...

London joins the Silk Road as UK – China rail freight service sets off

Freight train to leave Britain on long haul for China

First train from UK to China set to depart from Essex
It will need to change the wheels at least twice - that is move the containers from one train to another.
 #1427410  by SemperFidelis

With tensions in Eastern Europe being what they are, and probably due to grow worse, the original reasoning for the gauge break (hinderance to invasion forces) may trump economics of single gauging the line.
 #1427436  by george matthews

SemperFidelis wrote:With tensions in Eastern Europe being what they are, and probably due to grow worse, the original reasoning for the gauge break (hinderance to invasion forces) may trump economics of single gauging the line.
The potential tensions are further east than Europe. But the Afghan corridor is a potential link.
 #1427439  by David Benton

I would think the most secure route would be Finland- Russia- China. At first glance it look like a round about route.However if you use google earths measuring stick between England and China , guess where it goes? Through Sweden and Finland. The problem been there is not a direct rail link between England and Finland. But the extra mileage is not as much as it first seems . i make it 9399 k.m , vs 9155 km fir the belarus route. Actual railway mileage would vary for both, and probably favour the Belarus route. There are railway links been built in Iran , maybe one day that will be stable enough to provide a southern route. I measure that as 10,700 k.m however.
 #1427444  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:I would think the most secure route would be Finland- Russia- China. At first glance it look like a round about route.However if you use google earths measuring stick between England and China , guess where it goes? Through Sweden and Finland. The problem been there is not a direct rail link between England and Finland. But the extra mileage is not as much as it first seems . i make it 9399 k.m , vs 9155 km fir the belarus route. Actual railway mileage would vary for both, and probably favour the Belarus route. There are railway links been built in Iran , maybe one day that will be stable enough to provide a southern route. I measure that as 10,700 k.m however.
There is a line through Iran - though it still includes a ferry across Lake Van. That takes Standard Gauge to the Pakistan frontier. There is a line to the frontier of the former Soviet Union and that also ends in a change of gauge. I am sure there are lots of people contemplating these problems but I am also sure they all conclude that at present there isn't a solution that would result in a SG line all the way. I think the people who will make a solution will be the Chinese. If they decide a continuous route is necessary they will find the money to build it. They may well be provoked by some difficulty with Russia and feel a need to have a route that avoids Russia.
 #1432263  by David Benton

Interesting article. I don't think double stack is the way to go though, The need is for speed , and the double tacks have terrible aerodynamics. Could be improved no doubt, but it also restricts the routes they can take in Europe.