Railroad Forums 

• Lithuanian Railways

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1401624  by george matthews

Note that the track is Broad (Russian) gauge. There is some desire to convert the railways in the three Baltic states to Standard gauge to link them more easily with the European Union of which they are members. That would create a new possible route between Germany and Finland.
 #1401649  by Sir Ray

I'm guessing you mean a standard gauge rail route to, say, Tallin, Estonia, then ferry to Finland, as:
A) The Finland rail network uses Russian gauge
B) St. Petersburg lies in the way of a all land route to Finland (from the south at least).
 #1401835  by Sir Ray

Well, the project to have a standard gauge route from Germany to Tallin, Estonia is a pretty good idea, and it seems a number of sections have already been built.

However, the tunnel to Finland seems like a low priority item to me at least, as there is a land route by railroad to Finland (albeit thru Russia): it's not like the Chunnel where there was no direct rail route to Continental Europe before it's construction. Oh well, it's not my Euros they're spending.
 #1401873  by george matthews

There is a rail connection to Finland from Sweden, but there is a break of gauge at the frontier. I wonder if ever Finland might convert to Standard gauge.
 #1401904  by NorthWest

I chat online with a guy from Finland on occasion, and the sense I get is that it is one of those ideas that is always talked about but never gets accomplished. Finland has seen some private operators emerge in the last couple years, so I think that they might begin to lobby for it eventually.
 #1401960  by NorthWest

Fully agree. I am not sure how much traffic originated outside of Helsinki travels via rail to Russia, but I suspect it is enough to maintain either broad gauge or dual gauge far into the future.
 #1402166  by george matthews

This is THE big question about these countries. If they stay in the EU - and if the EU survives - there would be advantages to having direct standard gauge connection. I am sure it has been discussed, though I don't know where. The main advantage would be for freight to Germany and further south. But passenger service would also occur. Rail ferries already ply with Sweden but rail cars can only go as far as the ports.
 #1404940  by philipmartin

george matthews wrote: If they stay in the EU - and if the EU survives - there would be advantages to having direct standard gauge connection.
Wouldn't the advantages exist EU or no EU?
 #1404962  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:
george matthews wrote: If they stay in the EU - and if the EU survives - there would be advantages to having direct standard gauge connection.
Wouldn't the advantages exist EU or no EU?
If the EU collapses the three countries would have little alternative to being connected again with Russia. In which case they would need Broad gauge. But if they are to remain connected with the EU they are in need of a SG connection to encourage trade with the rest.