Railroad Forums 

• Flying Scotsman

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1365378  by ExCon90

johnthefireman wrote:Yes, condensing locomotives were also used on the London Underground, for different reasons.
I always got a kick out of a caption by C. Hamilton Ellis on a photo of an Underground condensing locomotive:

The condenser looked after the steam, while the smoke looked after itself.
 #1365438  by philipmartin

ExCon90 wrote:
The condenser looked after the steam, while the smoke looked after itself.
Smokers like inhaling smoke, so that should have been fine with them. :wink:
 #1365487  by ExCon90

Not only that, back in those days sulphur was thought to be good for you.
 #1367246  by philipmartin

johnthefireman wrote:An interesting night shot of Flying Scotsman numbered as 103 in black livery running backwards

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 97&nseq=84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is an interesting nite shot of that Pacific. I wonder if people call locos with that wheel arrangement "Pacifics" in the UK?
 #1367331  by philipmartin

David Benton wrote:They do in New Zealand, and we speak perfect English.
Thank you and John and ExCon for the info.
Ahem, the US is the only place in the world where English is spoken perfectly. I knows it, I lives here.:wink:
Last edited by philipmartin on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1367397  by ExCon90

I believe the term Pacific is also used in France; e.g., Arthur Honegger's "Pacific 231." (The French count axles rather than wheels, and back in pre-SNCF days some railways used the axle arrangement as the class number and painted it on the buffer beam, which is apparently where Honegger saw it.)
 #1367430  by philipmartin

ExCon90 wrote:some railways used the axle arrangement as the class number
I wonder how that worked. In the UK 0-6-0s were used as road engines and shunters. In North America they were generally used as switchers.
Top photo, 1757 Beatrice, would be called an American standard on my side of the Atlantic.
Middle photo of L&NER looks like a road engine to me.
Bottom, ubiquitous PRR switch engine.
 #1367576  by ExCon90

Locomotives of the same axle arrangement but with different purposes were distinguished by adding a letter after the numbers to denote a separate class--the opposite of North American practice, in which the 4th iteration of a Pacific on the PRR was a K4. In France it would have been a 231D. The 2-8-2's manufactured in America (by Baldwin, mostly) for France right after the war were designated 141R--I think the R stood for Reconstruction.
 #1367799  by philipmartin

johnthefireman wrote:An interesting night shot of Flying Scotsman numbered as 103 in black livery running backwards

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 97&nseq=84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here's a Corgi "Flying Scotsman." I have a small collection of Corgi model GM city buses of a type I rode in the 1940s and 50s, and a couple of Corgi PCC trolley cars; and they are really good. This model has builder's plates (I guess they are,) on the elephant ears. I wonder if they say "Corgi?" The original had that plate in some configurations.