Railroad Forums 

• India opens rail link to Kashmir

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#116889  by David Benton

new line to Kashmir will include 9.6 kilometre tunnel , and 1 km long bridge .

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_i ... D=10120502
Last edited by David Benton on Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #117788  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:new line to Kashmir will include 920 metre tunnel , and 1 km long bridge .

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_i ... D=10120502
Whoops.
It says: a tunnel 9.6km through the mountains.

The line may be vulnerable to guerrillas. But relations with Pakistan are improving at present. One assassin's bullet could change that if Musharraf is killed.

#118094  by David Benton

My mistake sorry . what caught my eye checking the article , the "and a kilometre-long bridge 400m high over Chenab River ". 400 metres high over 1 km , surely that is a huge bridge . Perhaps only the section over the river is 400 metre high , the rest sloping down the valley to it ???

#119322  by Jishnu

The 9.6km long tunnel is the Banihal Base Tunnel which is under construction under Banihal Pass. The road tunnel under Banihal Pass (Jawahar Tunnel) is at a much higher altitude and hence shorter.

I understand that freight trains were running to Udhampur since late 2004. Passenger train service was inaugurated recently.

And indeed when completed it will be among the top spectacular train rides in the world.

#120323  by David Benton

Jishnu , do you know if the bridge is actually 400 metres high ?
Ive never been to this part of India , perhaps when this line opens i will make the trip .

#132525  by Jishnu

David Benton wrote:Jishnu , do you know if the bridge is actually 400 metres high ?
Ive never been to this part of India , perhaps when this line opens i will make the trip .
Sorry for the delay in responding. I don't know for sure if the bridge is really going to be that high. Suffice it to say that in that part of the Himalayas it is not uncommon to find very deep ravines between high mountains. I have not seen anything specific about the alignmkent to answer your question more precisely.

#132527  by Jishnu

Of course, the other spectacular rail link in construction in the Himalays/Tibet area is the Lhasa Rail Link in Tibet. That, when completed, will be another spectacular ride. Reportedly the carriages will carry additional Oxygen supply for passengers. It will be as high as 16,000 feet in places.