Railroad Forums 

• Creation of a Railroad.Net Chat Area

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#33068  by CNJ

Hello...

I just wanted to inquire as to the possibility or feasibility of having a live railroad.net chat area created on this site.

There are a few of us folks from the former incarnations of railroad.net who would like to see this feature started on this site.

Thanks for your consideration!!!!!

Regards.........
Last edited by CNJ on Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #33132  by Komachi

Hey, I'd be up for a "real-time" chat, if we could have a couple different "rooms" to sit and converse in, I'd be up for it. Be another avinue for discourse and sharing of knowledge.

However, it could also be a potential point for a lot of flaming and other attacks against various people on the different boards. So, if we're going to have chat boards, then we're going to need some good bouncers to "police" the live-chat forums.

But that's the only point of contention that I can see for now, otherwise I think it would be a great idea.

#33584  by Irish Chieftain

Well, if the chat room idea is pursued, it ought to be a simple matter of extending the powers of current mods to that of being able to moderate the chat room(s). There's plenty of decent chat applet software out there; most of them have the capability of allowing users to create sub-rooms so that like-minded chatters can carry on private conversations.

Certainly an idea worth pursuing at this time.

#33883  by Otto Vondrak

I think a Railroad.net chat would be redundant... there are already plenty of services you can chat on- MSN, AIM, ICQ... and you can let people know your screenname so they can contact you offsite. I dont think we have the capacity to host a chat anyway.

-otto-
AIM: omv6369

#36580  by CNJ

Otto Vondrak wrote:I think a Railroad.net chat would be redundant... there are already plenty of services you can chat on- MSN, AIM, ICQ... and you can let people know your screenname so they can contact you offsite. I dont think we have the capacity to host a chat anyway.

-otto-
AIM: omv6369

Are you sure about that Otto?????

Also, I am curious as to why you believe that a chat is redudant?

Many of the competitive sites offering chat are regional in scope. For example, T.O. basically caters to the West Coast....RRF caters to a mainly northwest clientele. A good majority of the users of this site are either currently living on the east coast or, like myself, former east coast residents.

Seriously, you really should give the idea of chat on this site some thought instead of dismissing it out of hand.

Regards....
Last edited by CNJ on Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

#36697  by Mike Roque

Otto Vondrak wrote:I dont think we have the capacity to host a chat anyway.
Leave that techno-babble to me! :)

We might be able to integrate some sort of chat system. Let us look into it and get back to you...

#36699  by Otto Vondrak

Hey if we can do it and it doesnt drain our resources and I'm all for it. Like the head techno-babble guy said. I just thought it was redundant since you can use AIM and other services to chat with folks on Railroad.net... for instance, you an IM me right now by clicking on the AIM tab below...

-otto-

#42837  by AmtrakFan

I'm not sure if we should have a Chat Room because it could start Flam Wars or whatever their called also I agree with CNJ I belong to RRF and it mostly Caters to Pacific North West, Texas and Canada mostly but we have a fair amont of Midwest Members.

AmtrakFan

#48945  by Irish Chieftain

We never see you in the RRF chat, Fan...better show up one day...

#48979  by CNJ

I always say competition is a good thing.... :wink:

So when do you think we could get a railroad.net chat room?????

Lets try to make it a reality!!!! :-D

#49075  by Otto Vondrak

Competition? We're not trying to compete with anyone...

But we're still thinking about the chat area, we havent forgotten.

-otto-

#59739  by CNJ

How are we coming along (at least even on paper) as to the creation of a railroad.net chat area?

Are we making any positive progress?

#60653  by Mike Roque

CNJ wrote:How are we coming along (at least even on paper) as to the creation of a railroad.net chat area?

Are we making any positive progress?
I have a few ideas, but I'm tied up again with grad school...I'm busy literally 24x7. Honestly I probably won't get to it for a while...