Railroad Forums 

• THAT SPELL CHECK THING AGAIN

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#130282  by GOLDEN-ARM

First off, let's all celebrate the new keyboard, and mouse :-D :-D :-D I was wondering about the stuff at the top of each thread. you have a quote, edit and delete button. is it possible for you guys at the railroad.net crew to add some type of spell check, as an optional key, like the buttons mentioned above ? I find myself going back several times, editing my own posts, for spelling, or grammar mistakes. (sure would be sweet, if i could hit that "spell check" button :wink: ) Don't really understand the ins-and outs of running the server, etc..., but it seems possible to do, no ? just a thought.... regards

#130288  by AmtrakFan

Congrads!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#130293  by GOLDEN-ARM

THANKS, AMTRAK FAN. (couldn't resist that one). Well, any thoughts YOU might have on that spell check thing. I have one in my email deal, so i can check, before i email. How hard would it be to add this, to the forums. Seems a little more needed, than some of the other stuff i have been reading about. Any thoughts...... :-D

#130297  by AmtrakFan

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:THANKS, AMTRAK FAN. (couldn't resist that one). Well, any thoughts YOU might have on that spell check thing. I have one in my email deal, so i can check, before i email. How hard would it be to add this, to the forums. Seems a little more needed, than some of the other stuff i have been reading about. Any thoughts...... :-D
I would defently be in favoire of the spell check thing I am a bad speller so I would love it.

#130402  by Reddy Rocker

I, for one, would be against it. If you used Microsoft Word's spell checker, you'd find that it lacks accuracy and you often have to add words to it. Such as the word "railfan" is not recognized by M$'s spell checker.

Of course, if the spell checker that's being proposed is any better, then I might be in favor of it.

#130590  by GOLDEN-ARM

My spell checker does not recognize a lot of words, ONCE. I hit the "learn" button, and the word goes into memory. Lots of railroad words, don't make the grade, but as I use them, the computer remembers them. I use it more for checking spelling on the entire document, as I am not a profficient typer. I would imagine any decent program would have the ability to "learn", no ? Regards :wink:
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Wed May 25, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#130597  by Brad Smith

Here is a spell check we use on another forum I contribute to. It loads onto your tool bar and can be used for any HTML forums. I depend heavily on it.
http://www.iespell.com/
It's a free download and is virus and adware free.

#130616  by Derek Bernier

LOL yeah, I fell the need for a spell checker, for better accuracy on many of us, posters.

#130688  by David

What I do to make sure my spelling is correct, is to copy my post first before I submit it and E-mail it to myself. AOL checks it. Then I know where the misspelled words are to correct. Simple process. As I tell my students, "There are no reasons for spelling mistakes" LOL

#130750  by Robert Paniagua

Yeap, my AOL browser's email system does that too, although it could be a bit difficult to do, but that's another good way to spell check things.

#131280  by MetraRy

please lets move into the year 2005 and get a spell check option

#131290  by GOLDEN-ARM

I agree. Let's all ask real nice, and maybe we will get one :wink: :wink: I tried the email deal, on my aol, and while it does work, i must also right down all of the defects, then go back and edit my original posting, a rather convoluted system, at best. I would be willing to contribute, to the funding of a program to do this, if "resources" are the issue keeping this from happening. BTW, there seems to be plenty of room, for a spell check button, up there next to the "quote" and "edit" buttons. That's my .02 cents worth. regards :-D

#131293  by jg greenwood

MetraRy wrote:please lets move into the year 2005 and get a spell check option
If all the members kicked in a $ or two we could have a state of the art system, ?

#131647  by MetraRy

nah, we dont need to resort to fighting. Just a simple "please" might do the trick.